cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

GoDaddy and WordPress not user friendly

I've had two domains registered through GoDaddy for years.  I decided to rebuild one of my sites and host it with GoDaddy.  I have a blog with WordPress and decided to use WP to build my site here.  What I am finding is that it is extremely difficult to navigate and edit my pages and so on.  I am not new to building websites so it is not a skill deficiency.  Is there a tutorial of some sort that show how to find these edit tools, etc.?  I want to add and delete pages, put in text, insert images, etc.  Thank you in advance for any guidance.

14 REPLIES 14
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: GoDaddy and WordPress not user friendly

WordPress is extensively documented.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page

You can also refer to your favorite search or video sharing site to find guides and tutorials for your skill level.

Thank you Nate for the reply but it doesn't address my issue.  As previously mentioned I have a blog on Wordpress and I'm familiar with using WP.  I don't know if GoDaddy is using a light version or what the deal is but basically when I log into my GoDaddy account it is not easy to even find when to do to create and edit afterward.  Once I do find the dashboard to my website, the features are very, very limited as to what I can edit.  When I have used hosting packages elsewhere, such as Network Solutions, or Host Gator, the website tools were much, much better.  I would expect a simpler approach that what I have encountered so far.  I've spent 3-4 hours just clicking around trying to build a simple website.  I'm at the point that I think I may have made a mistake choosing GoDaddy to host a website.

Super User III

It is just not clear where you are having an issue.

You can login to WordPress by clicking WP Admin where you manage the Hosting, or directly at yourdomain.com/wp-admin

Once there you can add a new page by clicking Pages and then Add new.

Highlighted
New
New

@Sarah93003

You did not make a mistake choosing GoDaddy, I have at least 8 WordPress sites hosted on my GoDaddy account. But your description of your problem (frustration) is not clear. You say you have experience with a WordPress 'blog'. Is that on WordPress.com or one you built yourself with components from WordPress.org? There is a difference. If you had GoDaddy install the basic WordPress site for you, then it has minimal plugins and themes and you will need to add the rest yourself. But you can do that from the WP admin panel. You don't need to log in to the GoDaddy to do that. If you could be more specific about the problem, perhaps we could help you.

Maury

Thank you Maury for your reply.  The blog I mentioned I have is with WordPress.com.  It's pretty straight forward in editing, adding photos, backgrounds, etc.  

With GoDaddy, I did choose Wordpress since I was familiar with it.  At first I was taken aback since it mentions Linux, but I didn't see any other options.  It gave me the choice to install WP, and I did.  I use a MacBook Air and don't see WP actually installed on my machine so my assumption is that it was installed on my account some how.  

My frustration begins when I first access my account on GoDaddy and it isn't obvious where I go next.  It takes a bit of fishing around to eventually get to something I assume is WP since I see the logo.  Not much is available on the dashboard so I click on the link to my website and the changes I can make are very limited.

Super User III

WordPress.com is a service that is simplified for beginners to make a website, but it can be too limited for more advanced users.  WordPress.org is software installed into a hosting account which gives you more power and flexibility with the website.

Have you been able to login to the WordPress dashboard, where it's yourdomain.com/wp-admin in the address bar?

This should have many of the things you're familiar with; Posts, Pages, Comments, etc.  With having more control over the website you'll need to choose the options you want.  Under the Plugins tab you can find and select what functionality you need the website to have.

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I
Solution

Hi @Sarah93003,

@Nate made a very good point in that Wordpress.com is wordpress automattic's way.  Every hosting company has their own base-installation packages for WordPress.  Having used MANY, GoDaddy's is a good, solid installation.  

Did you have multiple sites at WordPress.Com?  When you see that interface its somewhat similar to a "multi-site" installation.

As you move away from WordPress.Com you'll want a good simple, theme and builder.  May I suggest BeaverBuilder or WP-Astra.  I use it extensively and I've added an inline editor to make it even easier.  It is also a GoDaddy recommended theme/plugin.  Also explore Divi -- its called a mega-theme.  

By getting an inexpensive, paid premium theme you'll find many, many more features readily available and won't get into the mushwah (thanks @Sherig !)of plugin-compatibility and searching for the "right" plug-in.  You might find a niche' theme that's perfect.

With regard to hosting, when you were at wordpress.com you were on a "managed" hosting platform.  Everything done for you, but done 100% wordpress.com's way.  In your transition to GoDaddy may I suggest one of the managed plans here.  Once again, you won't have to worry about Linux!!  There is a HUGE difference between cPanel hosting and Managed Hosting.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
Super User III

@Sarah93003Let us know if you decide to stick with the transition.  It can be a bit of a learning curve going from WordPress.com to WordPress.org but once you have it all setup you may actually like it better.  But if you're not interested in any of the features and are happier with your previous workflow it may not be worth the effort.

Thank you for the input James.  Today, I'm back exploring to find the tools, etc.  I accessed via C-Panel and see where I can begin to edit blocks of text, etc.  I'm assuming that is where I am to begin.  I am not familiar with Linux and assume it has to do with GoDaddy and not my laptop.  I am working from a MacBook Air.  My website is www.MosriteCelebrity.com and if visited you'll see it only has the home page and very little text from me.  I'm designing in my mind how I want this to be.  My website is devoted to a particular family of Mosrite guitars that were originally built in California.  The founder passed away in 1994 and all records were lost in two separate factory fires.  In short, my website is the result of 10+ of research and documenting the surviving examples of these guitars.

My original website had over 2500 photos and about 20 separate pages.  Since it was lost about 5 years ago (the website host)  I've added many more photos and information.  That is the essence of the site I am trying to build.

Thanks,

Sarah

New
New

@Sarah,

Perhaps it will help you if I describe the kind of process I go thru when I design a site for a new 'client'. I put 'client' in quote marks because all of my work if for non-profits and grassroots political groups. My company, Zayda Productions (Zayda means Grandfather) is also 'non-profit' because I wouldn't know how to make one if I wanted to. It's my new 'hobby' since I retired.

The very first question is 'what kind of site do you want?' or 'What is the story you are trying to tell?' Reading the history of you site I would guess you want a combination of a blog and a photo gallery. I don't see that you are selling merchandise or collecting donations, etc. So this will be a rather simple content to deal with. Then I want to know who and how large your audience will be and how often you will be updating the site with new information. 

On the technical side, now that WordPress, including the database, is installed on your hosting server, you can pretty much forget about the cPanel. Most of your work will be done from the admin panel in WordPress itself. In other words, you will login to your site from <yoursitename>/wp-admin. Adding new plugin modules, changing or modifying themes, adding new pages and posts, adding widgets to the sidebar or footer and building your picture gallery can all be done from the WP admin panel.There are any number of sites where you can read lists of recommended plugins; for example,  WPBeginner.com and WPMUDev.org. You can get a list of plugins at WordPress.org by typing in a keyword like 'photo gallery'. One caveat: for any plugin, look at the number of installs and the date of the last update to be sure it is well supported and up to date. For site security, you always want to keep your WP core, plugins and themes up to date. Trust me, they change fairly frequently, but the admin panel will show you when there are updates to the items you are using. Also, be aware that many free plugins offer 'premium' add-ons for purchase. So check the free version to see what features are included and which you have to pay for.

As for the theme you choose, be sure it is 'responsive'. i.e. that it adjusts to fit mobile devices as well as desktop screens. Unless GoDaddy is managing your site, you are not limited to their selection of themes. The Escapade theme you are using seems to be designed for product sales rather than story telling. You might find one more to your liking from the 3200 free themes available on WP. One of the nice features of WP is that you can install several themes at the same time on your site and then preview them to see how they fit with your site. 

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Maury

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi @Sarah93003,

Both @mauryg and @Nate have good ideas and suggestions.  Because of the way that wordpress.com operates, we cannot (that I know of) install a "migration" plugin to move your site.  However,  one thing you can do is export content and at least import your post/pages from your wordpress.com site. 

Here is a pretty good article with some step-by-step instructions.  

https://www.sitepoint.com/migrating-from-wordpress-com/  

What theme are you using by the way?  

Love your site concept. I actually have several guitar tattoos!  I got a custom built from Ed Roman who had a huge respect for Mosrite.  

PM is you'd like some more help on specifics for your site!  I'll be glad to do what I can to help to keep the music playing!

Hope this helps!

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Thank you Maury for the lengthy response.  I greatly appreciate everything that everyone has shared.  The audience I'm reaching out to are people looking for accurate information regarding the Mosrite Celebrity family of guitars.  These were the hollow body guitars made from 1965 to 1976.  They are wonderful guitars and many have survived over the years and are still phenomenal after 50+ years.  I get contacted by people from all over the world.  They are seeking information and sometimes looking for parts to restore their guitar.  I don't plan to have a commerce element.  I do need to have separate pages because I go through the history, each individual model in great detail, evolution of various components, collateral material, amplifiers, and more.  I'm not sure if blog will suffice.  The photographs will be on every page and I'll likely have a gallery of each guitar by serial number.

I'm not sure how to tell if the template I choose is responsive.  Is there a clue in there someplace?  I'm not sure how to access the 3200 templates that you mention.

Thanks,

Sarah 

New
New

Hi @Sarah93003,

Quick answer tonight. Even when the theme author says it is responsive, I always link to my website on my smartphone and look at the result to see if I like the way the elements have been rearranged.for the vertical orientation of the phone. Wouldn't hurt to check it on a tablet too if you have one. As for the repository of 3200 themes on WordPress.org they are at:  https://wordpress.org/themes/

I'm not a real guitar aficionado but I did buy an Ariana for $22 at a Washington's birthday sale and tried to learn to play back in the 70's. You brought back a lot of memories. I bought hardware from Linda Ronstadt's father in Tucson, AZ in the 60's and I still have her Stone Ponies album. We were at the Cellar Door in Georgetown (Washington, DC) to hear John Denver the night he and Bill Danoff wrote Country Roads. Joan Baez lives just up the road from me in Woodside and I built a website for a woman who once lived in a tree house up on Struggle Mountain with Joan and her husband David Harris. Yeah, you brought back a lot of memories.

Maury

Super User III

@Sarah93003  Linux is the operating system and cPanel is like the 'System Preferences'.  So for example you wouldn't need to know the ins and outs of macOS to work on a spread sheet.

Once you are logged into your WordPress install (yourdomain.com/wp-admin) a lot of stuff can be accomplished in the point and click interface, it is up to you if you want to dig deeper with custom coding and more advanced features like that.

You can browse and install themes right inside of WordPress by clicking Appearance > Themes from the menu on the left, and then click the Add New button at the top.  Here you'll find categories like Popular and New, you can use the Filter to narrow it down or use the Search themes feature.  Plug-ins (which add functionality) can be found and added similarly by selecting Plugins > Add new from the menu.

There are plugins that you can use instead of the default WordPress editors (like BeaverBuilder or WP-Astra @JMPepper suggested earlier).  There are many others to choose from, like integrating with Social Media, many different management, SEO, and security tools etc.  But don't get too carried away, try to keep it down to just what you need to make the site you want.  And as @mauryg suggested, always make sure to check the ratings and reviews and ensure to only install what is actively being updated to avoid obsolete software.

It'll probably be easier to see it in action, at the 13 min mark of this video I've found they go over the WordPress Dashboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2UvmRWTFVo&t=780s

There are many other videos about WordPress on there too that show just about anything you want to know about WordPress.