cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How to Migrate a straight html site to WordPress

I have maintained a site for a client for several years. It is all html. I now want to migrate it to WordPress, but I need to develop the WordPress site without taking down the html site (until we're all ready). How can I develop the WordPress site independently and then switch over?

5 REPLIES 5
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: How to Migrate a straight html site to WordPress

With a managed WordPress account you are provided a temporary URL/domain to work with during the entire dev process.

Then, when you are ready to launch you just move/point/assign the domain to that account and it displays the brand new site.

HTH! ;-)

Judith
"I failed my way to success." ~Thomas Edison
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi @econklin,

Here's a couple of considerations:

Are you moving the site into WP for nice stylistic reasons or for WP content management capabilities? 

How much of your old css layout do you need to make during the transition?  As you make the transition you might consider using your css file with a child theme. As you update your site, you can strip/update css id's and classes to remove the old styling.

With those questions at hand here are a couple of plugins that you might find very useful.

The first is simple html into wordpress.  Depending on how you have your site structured this is a nice little tool. 

https://wordpress.org/plugins/import-html-pages/

Plugin number 2 is my favorite by far for moving all sorts of content among sites.  Its WP-AllImport.  You could save your html to xml and import with this plugin.  You can then create the content in sections based on page/post.  If you have your content organized into posts vs pages, you can even organize your imports so you can add categories, tags, and other SEO and navigational elements.  During the conversion, you can do some real SEO optimization with the Yoast add-on for WP-AllImport.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Thanks, that's what I was hoping you'd say. Still not sure how to do the pointing step, but I have some work to do on the site beforehand.

In this case, although I may copy some of the content and images, I really am aiming for a new look and easier maintainability going forward. So, I'm treating the WordPress version as a "start from scratch". But I'm very interested in your suggestion as regards some other projects. Thank you!

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

@econklin wrote:

Thanks, that's what I was hoping you'd say. Still not sure how to do the pointing step....

GoDaddy makes that super simple.  When you are ready go to the Hosting Accounts page, click on the Settings button for the account with the temporary domain that you are ready to make live. 

Then, click on the ADD DOMAIN button.  All the domains in the account will then be listed in a drop down box for you to choose from.  Once you designate the domain you want to use GoDaddy takes it from there.

HTH!  ;-)

Judith
"I failed my way to success." ~Thomas Edison