cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

How to remove "continue reading button"?

How can i get rid of this button on my blog?

http://solmazhatherellphotography.com/blog/

i want to just display photographs from my galleries on my blog with very little text, if possible. Currently my one post only has the ugly big blue CONTINUE READING button. How can i remove this and display my gallery as is.

The only thing i have added to the blog post is the shortcode for the gallery. What am i doing wrong?  any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: continue reading button

@Solmazh17

Most WordPress themes show a snippet of the latest posts on the home page with a button like what you are seeing.  What that button says is customizable but you want is for what that button links to to display on your homepage right?

If you want what is on that link to display as your homepage, create a new page (not a post) and put the gallery shortcode on it. Then designate that page in WordPress as your homepage by going to Settings > Reading. 

After that delete the post!

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
"Worry is a misuse of imagination." ~Unknown

Hi, many thanks for replying. Although i have read your reply a couple of times, i am still not altogether clear what you are suggesting.

I would like to keep the blog with titles and dates as is and just insert my photo galleries into them to be displayed as is. The blog is just another page on my site. It isn't the homepage of the site which is a standalone gallery.  i want the blog section of the site to be a diary of photography sessions....hence the need for titles, dates and occasionally so words when i feel inspired.

i wouldn't mind if only a few of the photos were displayed with a small 'see more...' button to open the full gallery....but i am unsure how to do that.

Does that clarify my issue more?

Super User I
Solution

@Solmazh17

Okay -- let's see if I can clarify! Smiley Wink

Pages and posts are handled differently in WordPress.  What we are talking about here is posts.  When you create a new post it is going to automatically display on your homepage based on how your theme is setup.  For pages that does not happen.

WordPress themes show the most recent blog posts on the homepage.  Generally they show a snippet/excerpt of text from each post along with what you designate as the featured image.  However, being you have no content on your posts, or featured image, that is why you are seeing what you are seeing.

If you were to add a Featured Image (recommended) to each post, that would show on the homepage along with the title and the button.  More visually appealing.

As you add more posts, they will automatically be added to the home page.  The number and layout is determined by your theme.  Look at the demo of your theme to see how this is setup.

Adding a description about the gallery above each on every post describing what the gallery is about, how much fun you had shooting it, the folks involved, etc. would benefit your site visitors so they know what they are looking at.  This would contribute to every new post displaying in a consistent manner on the homepage.  If you only have text on some it will not be a uniform display.

The Continue Reading button is designated (color/text/location) by your theme.  That can be changed in the code but then you're getting in the weeds as that requires changing it in the theme files.  Then when the theme updates, those modifications will be overwritten.  This is why creating a Child Theme allows you to make actual theme file changes and not have to worry about that.

The bottom line is to review your theme's demo to see what you have to work with.  If you do not like how posts are displayed on the homepage, there are a ton of other themes out there to choose from! 

Or, you can add all your galleries shortcodes to one Page and then designate that page as your homepage.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith

Thank you!!  

Featured image! doh! i did add one in the beginning but it didn't seem to update and give me what i wanted so removed it and didn't look at it again. Strange. but yes this is exactly what i wanted. pity you cant add several of them rather than just one. 

last question, is it possible just to display all the images on the post?

Anyway, thanks for your help. 

Super User I

@Solmazh17

Featured image is what it is -- a featured image. Smiley Wink   So there is only one that displays for each post.  The idea of featured images and the snippet/excerpt is to provide the visitor enough to know what they will clicking through to view.

Do you mean display "all the images on the post" on that post page instead of a gallery slider? 

If so, yes, you could just create a simple gallery in WordPress.  When on the post, click Add Media, then on the left, click Create Gallery.

Choose your images, click Create New Gallery, bottom/right. 

Then on the right select the number of columns and the size and then click Insert Gallery.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith