cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

I need to ask about leaving the wordpress off the end of my website

Can anyone tell me about how to leave the word press off of the end of my website?  With it how it is the domain is all by itself and has a welcome page on it. Can I change it around so that something else can go on that page or just leave off the wordpress at the end. The website is working but it look's like this 

www.example.com/wordpress. I believe there are a couple of way's to do this. Could anyone kind of guide me through some of the step's? Maybe there is a video that I can watch? Your help would be appreciated on this. Thank's ahead of time!

6 REPLIES 6
Resolver I

Re: I need to ask about leaving the wordpress off the end of my website

Hi,

The main thing to do is to forward the main domain to the folder of your ../wordpress folder on the hosting account and that should take care of the way the domain looks (example.com instead of example.com/wordpress). The website then needs to be forwarded to the new domain (example.com). This is commonly referred to as moving WordPress and you can Google that an apply the concept here. If you would like more help, please message me or you can provide me your email for a more detailed set of instruction. If you would like, I would also be able to do this for you for a fee. Good luck.

Joaquin

Okay, I read the solution you are suggesting but it's a little hard to follow. So then I would want to make sure the domain is in the wordpress folder? Could you be more specific or provide some tip's because I can't just see how to do that? And after that I would forward the website to the domain?

Marc

Resolver I
Solution

Got it. 

The first thing to do is to change your domain to example.com on the WordPress admin dashboard>General Settings> WordPress Address and Site Address and save that. Then you would go in and point the root for your domain name to the .../wordpress folder on your server. Then you have to login and check to see if you can access the login portion for your site using http:www.example.com/wp-login.php and if that pops-up, you are almost done. You then get a plugin installed to change your media URL and follow the instructions for that plugin. You should check the media that you have uploaded, if any, to make sure that it is opening correctly. 

The last step is to make sure that you manually change any menu items that you have added as custom URLs and that should do it. 

You can also look at the instructions on the WordPress codex website here: 

Moving Directories On Your Existing Server

https://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Hope that helps a little more. 

Thank you very much! I'll work on all of that and I appreciate the help!

Marc

Resolver I
Solution

@leferts No problem. Good luck and hope that works for you. 

Joaquin

I also was needing to do this, however when I changed the name to xxxxxxx.com for both the wp address and site address that changed my website to just jumbled up stuff. Can't figure out to reverse this.  ??

Newbie.