cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Is there any use for allowing Pingbacks these days?

It seems like there's really no benefit to enabling Pingbacks in a Wordpress blog. When someone links to your blog, you already get the SEO and backlink by having the link exist, and you don't need the pingback.

It seems like the benefit of a pingback is more for the OTHER blogger to essentially insert a link to their post within the pingback section of my post (hence why you hear about spammers trying to use it, even though that probably doesn't help SEO these days with updated algorithms).

So is there any saving grace to make me not disable pingbacks? Or are they a feature of Wordpress that has not stood the test of time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Is there any use for allowing Pingbacks these days?

This is both a great question and a bit of a controversial one @AustinGreyson. My view is that pingbacks won't hurt so they are fine to do but I can't exactly say that they are helpful in our current microtargeting environment? Certainly you will find numerous articles and posts extolling the virtues on both sides. Perhaps the best practice is quality over quantity? I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Is there any use for allowing Pingbacks these days?

This is both a great question and a bit of a controversial one @AustinGreyson. My view is that pingbacks won't hurt so they are fine to do but I can't exactly say that they are helpful in our current microtargeting environment? Certainly you will find numerous articles and posts extolling the virtues on both sides. Perhaps the best practice is quality over quantity? I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post