cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Managed Wordpress Site - Fail Upload Through WP Admin But Works Through External FTP program

When I try to upload even very small images to my media library through the wp admin, I get an error "Unable to create directory uploads. Is its parent directory writable by the server?" I can create blog posts and install plugins. I just can't upload images.

I tested my permissions by uploading several image to the wp-contents/uploads folder with an ftp program. This works fine doing it outside of the WP admin with the sftp credentials I have. I checked the folder permissions which are "view and modify" for Owner.

So it sounds like the permissions are not allowing the wp program or the server it is on to write these changes. I don't see where I can control this granularity in the permissions. I'm the owner if I'm authenticated to the wp admin, but the permissions are not seeing it that way.

Is this a change I can do on my own?

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Managed Wordpress Site - Fail Upload Through WP Admin But Works Through External FTP program

Hi @theitman. Welcome to GoDaddy Community!

The only thing I can think of (that you'd be able to change yourself) would be if you have the wrong file location set in Settings > Media. Sometimes when sites are migrated, there will be a path listed in settings that doesn't work with the new server configuration. You can usually fix that by removing the path and saving, which should default it to your Uploads directory. If you access those settings and there's no area to set the path, then that's not the issue and you may want to reach out to our support team. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: Managed Wordpress Site - Fail Upload Through WP Admin But Works Through External FTP program

Thanks, JesseW. That was it. My previous hosting site must have hard-coded the directory, since I've never edited it. I erased, saved, and voila!

THANK YOU!!! I had the same issue, and this worked like a charm : )

After getting frustrated for a day, and not wanting to wait on support call,

this SAVED the day! 

Thank you!

THIS SAVED MY LIFE. HUGE THANKS MATE!

Highlighted

Thanks! Chat support told me to clear cookies. This fixed it in a minute! Thanks so much!