cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Pacswpgd
New

Password protect a single file

Hi, I was trying to Password protect a single page(login.php) by WordPress. I followed the indication's of the guide at https://www.godaddy.com/garage/htaccess-tutorial-and-cheat-sheet/

but when I try to get at my page for login, I get an internal 500 error, (authuserfile takes one argument text file containing user ids and passwords).
the site I need help with is baquetasactivas.es 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Pacswpgd 

You'd have to look at the error log - to see the specific error - it could be a permissions issue

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PL281
Super User III

@Pacswpgd 

I see you have put up a coming soon page. What is your purpose for putting a password on the login file for wordpress - as that page is the login for the wordpress admin you would be passwording something already password protected

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Hi,

I get brute force attacks on that file and securing that file and wp-admin is the best way to stop these brute force attacks, So that's why.

Coming soon page: Yes I am working on this blog yet, it's not ready to launch. 

@Pacswpgd 

In that case I would recommend installing WordFence - the free version works fine - I would NOT try to do an htaccess restriction on the login page itself as that can cause issues with other plugins / systems you may try to integrate with later on

Hi,

I have done this way for almost 10 years on all my sites, and have never got a problem with WordPress, or get 500 internal errors from my hostings accounts on Hostgator. 
My question was, why do I get that 500 error if I clearly follow all the steps on that tutorial mentioned above? 

@Pacswpgd 

You'd have to look at the error log - to see the specific error - it could be a permissions issue

View solution in original post