cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
Helper I

Question on buying a 3rd party premium WP Theme?

Hi Folks,

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I've had a very simple WP website with the "Twenty-Eleven" theme for ten years, hosted by Go Daddy (old platform not managed hosting).  There has never been a problem or downtime not ever.  This is a very simple theme, very easy to add to, loads fast and looks correct on all devices.

I have almost no technical ability whatsoever.

I need a newer more complex website that has a much more professional look for another domain of mine. The only way to get this is to buy a 3rd party premium theme and have a professional  WP developer install and get it up and running.  It is critical that the site is stable and loads fast , looks correct on all devices etc.

What can I do to insure that a 3rd party theme is stable and workable?   In reading the "Marketplace" sites to buy these themes which look fantastic, there are reviews pro and con, always some nightmare reviews,  and it also looks like if there is a problem it may take days to get a response from the designers of the themes. 

I can't afford to have a custom theme built at this time so I figured a great 3rd party premium theme, installed by a WP expert, may be the answer.

Can anyone advise me here. I'm sort of lost and want to make the right decision.  Can the Marketplace sites that sell 3rd party themes be trusted?  The Theme I want is only sold on one of these sites.

Thanks for any response or opinion.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Question on buying a 3rd party premium WP Theme?

@BennyK 

My experience has been that if it was actively being maintained as the sample one you sent me - You should be good from a security / functionality perspective. 

It may not be "optimized" to the most recent standard of WordPress, but it should still work without issue. The bigger issue is the plugins like visual composer - my solution to that was to purchase my own license to visual composer so as the updates are made available I have them - even if the theme didn't push them out.

I can tell you over the 100s of sites that I maintain / support I've only had 1 where updating the visual composer broke the site due to how it was integrated into the theme so I just rolled back to a backup of the site and the issue was resolved. I've also been running some themes that haven't been updated in 2+ years and again they have kept working without issue.

It's just something to be aware of.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@BennyK 

Generally speaking I purchase themes on ThemeForest.net - I look for when they were originally posted and when the last update was - You have some themes that have been on the sites for years and last updated 3 years ago.

I also like themes that use the Visual Composer (WP Bakery) -

In terms of installing, it should just be uploading the zip file and then importing the demo content. While there are paid services for this, that is all there is too it.

I would caution you to install this on the Linux Hosting (Legacy Hosting) vs cPanel - as the old Linux hosting only supports up to PHP 5.4 which is no longer supported.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted

One of the great disadvantages of the free theme , don’t have all the features in it so you have to buy its premium theme to improve your website. WordPress themes are easy to use and many free themes are available with there premium theme. Many themes don’t have the option of premium for this you have to buy it directly. One example is there download NovelLite theme from WordPress and you want more options with its latest features to improve your site you can buy its premium theme NovelPro. By this you can also add plugin in your theme.

Highlighted
Helper I

Thank You for that @PL281,

The theme I want has the WP Bakery. Can you tell me if the WP Bakery is installed does it make it as easy for me to use the theme as the very simple and well known "Twenty-Eleven" theme I have now? 

This is the theme I want it is called "The Movie" from Gloria Themes https://themeforest.net/item/the-movie-cinema-film-series-wordpress-theme/19764004 

If you are a regular buyer of themes as a professional WP guy,  do you have any problem with the envato marketplace? 

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@BennyK 

1) WP Bakery makes it easy to do layout of pages without having to know code

2) Envato is ThemeForest and many others - So yes I do recommend purchasing via their site

3) I personally would not recommend them you picked "The Movie" as it hasn't been updated since January 2019 - since then there have been about 6+ releases of both the page builder and Revolution slider that you wouldn't have - not to mention any other updates for WordPress functionality

Highlighted
Helper I

Thank You for this information it is really helpful  to someone that doesn't know these things.

As far as premium themes being  updated, what would be the time frame of updates on a theme that suggest they are regularly updated?  I suppose I could end up buying a theme that is all up to date and then it never gets updated again by the designer of the theme.  I'm trying to educate myself to avoid bad headaches, before jumping in.  The custom built theme from a reputable developer is very expensive compared to trying to do it like this.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@BennyK 

You can look when it was originally released and when it was updated - most themes get updated 4-6 times per year if for no other reason to push out the new version of the embedded plugins

Highlighted
Helper I

I appreciate that Thanks,

I must have looked at dozens of Film and Video Themes  and most if not all haven't been updated in at least 6 months if not much longer.  I don't know what to do as a functional site with no problems (with a professional artistic look) is critical.

I guess my options are take a risk on one of these themes and hire a freelancer on Fiver to install it,  or alternatively hire a professional for literally 15x more money. Even If I used one of these themes they would be static without animation of any sort.  Its just first page full-screen look I'm after and a scroll down to maybe three other pages of content including one with two trailers embedded from Vimeo, then a cast page, then a synopsis page and gallery.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@BennyK 

Most (if not all) of the purchased WordPress themes - at least on Themeforest - include a significant amount of demo content - One of the themes I like to use is Lambda and they have about 50 different demo packages - these include much more than just a static home page 

They often have all the visual composer elements configured - and although they come with stock images many are copyright protected.

The biggest advantage to using an "topic" specific theme - for example Film & Video is that the stock images / some of the headers will be geared to that topic - but you really can use any theme as you would be swapping it out for your own content.

Highlighted
Helper I

I understand that, but what about the updates.  I haven't seen one film-video theme that has been updated in the last six months, and many for a year or more.

If I buy a theme that looks like it isn't going to get updated how much of a problem is that, If I have hosting that scans for maleware etc. In other words if I have security from hosting how big a problem is it if the theme doesn't get updated?  Thanks

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@BennyK 

My experience has been that if it was actively being maintained as the sample one you sent me - You should be good from a security / functionality perspective. 

It may not be "optimized" to the most recent standard of WordPress, but it should still work without issue. The bigger issue is the plugins like visual composer - my solution to that was to purchase my own license to visual composer so as the updates are made available I have them - even if the theme didn't push them out.

I can tell you over the 100s of sites that I maintain / support I've only had 1 where updating the visual composer broke the site due to how it was integrated into the theme so I just rolled back to a backup of the site and the issue was resolved. I've also been running some themes that haven't been updated in 2+ years and again they have kept working without issue.

It's just something to be aware of.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I

Thank You for all of your answers, I may contact your business to discuss your services.