Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
JohnFlat
New

Rollback Theme Update

Hello,

I am trying to undo my update for the Theme Spangle Lite. It seems to have altered the appearance on my pages. I do not see the rollback option in the details.

Also, i need to update the footer once rolled back, it was not giving me the option to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Muse
Super User I

@JohnFlat 

What you can do is restore a backup dated before your update.  

Generally, if a theme update changes site layout, that indicates you may have customized some theme files?  If so, you'll want to make note of those changes so that you can then reinstate them in the new updated files.

There are two ways to avoid this from happening again.  When you update your theme, do so on a staging site.   Then when everything is the way you like (or you reinstate any code changes) you can push that version to live/production status.

Another considerations is to use a Child Theme of your chosen WordPress themes.  This way you only change the child theme's files and do not risk losing those when the primary/parent theme is updated.  Many themes now offer that option, but if yours doesn't, here's how to create a child theme.  More on that here...

As far a your footer, how to make any changes would be dependent on your theme and what type of changes you want to make to determine what file/CSS would need to be modified.

Does this help? 😉

Judith
"Good things happen to those who hustle." ~ Anaïs Nin

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Muse
Super User I

@JohnFlat 

What you can do is restore a backup dated before your update.  

Generally, if a theme update changes site layout, that indicates you may have customized some theme files?  If so, you'll want to make note of those changes so that you can then reinstate them in the new updated files.

There are two ways to avoid this from happening again.  When you update your theme, do so on a staging site.   Then when everything is the way you like (or you reinstate any code changes) you can push that version to live/production status.

Another considerations is to use a Child Theme of your chosen WordPress themes.  This way you only change the child theme's files and do not risk losing those when the primary/parent theme is updated.  Many themes now offer that option, but if yours doesn't, here's how to create a child theme.  More on that here...

As far a your footer, how to make any changes would be dependent on your theme and what type of changes you want to make to determine what file/CSS would need to be modified.

Does this help? 😉

Judith
"Good things happen to those who hustle." ~ Anaïs Nin

View solution in original post