cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Switching from GoCentral to WordPress

I currently have a site that I edit with GoCentral, but I'm looking to change to WordPress for more flexibility. I want to be sure before making the change that I won't lose certain things like SEO with my domain name. If I change the current domain in GoCentral to the Free provided URL and then point the purchased domain to WordPress, what will be the consequences? I realize that I will need to completely start the site form scratch with WordPress, but what about SEO and how my domain comes up in search results? This domain is for my business so I don't want to lose any customers or traffic as a consequence. 

Also, will I be able to quickly launch an "under construction" page of some sort if I move the domain to WordPress? 

Any help is appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Switching from GoCentral to WordPress

hello @DavidG_ ,

Going from GoCentral to Wordpress is a bit of a change if you not use to Wordpress, but I feel is easy to learn if you put some time into it. 

Yes, SEO is available in WordPress. You can even purchase a WordPress package from GoDaddy that already includes SEO tools for you. 

For creating an 'under construction' page, check out this article from wpbeginner.

Hopefully, that helps you some.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

Thanks, Drew! I've actually used WordPress before so I'm not too worried about that. I was more concerned about switching over and losing my current SEO results or will that not matter since I will be keeping the same domain? 

Super User I
Super User I

Okay, that is good.... yeah, you should have no worries for the most part. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

@DavidG_ 

Some additional comments about SEO: 😉  Whenever you change platforms, there are no guarantees that everything will remain the same.

Install the Yoast SEO plugin.  Then as you add your content use all the tools within Yoast to make sure all the necessary variables are in place and that your content is optimized as much as possible. This will also help you to improve your skills on writing optimized content moving forward.

You'll also want to test your new site's performance once you have everything setup to make sure you have all those bases covered being that is part of your SEO too.

HTH 😉

Judith
"I failed my way to success." ~Thomas Edison