cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Transition from old-fashioned HTML coded site to Wordpress site

First post, apologies if this is a dumb question.

I recently moved my site from a different server to GoDaddy. It isn't my main domain. Anyway that all went off with no problems and I was able to move the website over easily.

I now want to make the website more modern and responsive. I already use Wordpress on my main domain. My question is this: what is the easiest way of designing a new Wordpress site at my own pace  whilst keeping the old website 'live' until I'm ready to change over? Can anyone who has done this themselves give me any pointers?

If I install Wordpress will that 'override' the old HTML site? I'm not sure what happens in this situation. Obviously there must be a simple way of installing Wordpress, designing the new site with the old site still in place and then changing over to Wordpress.............but I'm not sure how to do it.

I have the Linux Hosting account (not managed Wordpress).  Any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Transition from old-fashioned HTML coded site to Wordpress site

@owashi 

Assuming your domain is registered at GoDaddy you would go to https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/YOURDOMAIN.com/dns

replacing YOURDOMAIN with your actual domain.

Then you will add a CNAME with the host of new and the points to as @ I recommend setting the TTL to custom 600

Then back in cPanel you will go to domains and add a new domain - it should automatically set the home folder to /public_html/new.yourdomain.com

Then look for the installtron app and select WordPress - then when it asks you where to install it select this new folder

Then when you are ready to go live with the site you can backup all the files in the public_html folder (your HTML site) and you will move all the files from the new.yourdomain.com to the root of folder

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@owashi 

What I would recommend doing is to setup something like new.YOURDOMAIN.com

That way it will create a subfolder on the server.

When you are ready to take it live, you can move the files to the root of public_html and there is a plugin call Go Live URL which you can use to update the database from new. to www.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted
New

Thanks for the reply.

Again , forgive my ignorance but how/where do I create the new.mydomain.com subfolder?

And I install Wordpress to that subfolder only? What happens when I move to the main public_html folder?

Sorry, dumb questions maybe.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@owashi 

Assuming your domain is registered at GoDaddy you would go to https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/YOURDOMAIN.com/dns

replacing YOURDOMAIN with your actual domain.

Then you will add a CNAME with the host of new and the points to as @ I recommend setting the TTL to custom 600

Then back in cPanel you will go to domains and add a new domain - it should automatically set the home folder to /public_html/new.yourdomain.com

Then look for the installtron app and select WordPress - then when it asks you where to install it select this new folder

Then when you are ready to go live with the site you can backup all the files in the public_html folder (your HTML site) and you will move all the files from the new.yourdomain.com to the root of folder

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New

Thanks, I will try that.................and come back here in the day next day or 2 if/when I have any problems.

Thanks again!