cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

UPDATED: I want to use my Go Daddy domain name as a permanent to access my wordpress blog.

Edit:

Hi,

How can I use my domain name as a permanent access to my wordpress site? The Go Daddy settings page only offers a redirect. How can I mask the domain.wordpress.com altogether and only use the domain that I purchased? 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Transfer my Go Daddy domain to my current website.

@lauparm

What hosting are you using?   There is no cost for you to have your GoDaddy domain pull your GoDaddy hosted site.  You just have to select which domain you want to use for the site.  How you do that on which hosting you have.

Even if your host is not GoDaddy, that would not cost anything and all you would have to do is change the nameservers to point to your hosting off-GoDaddy.  

Maybe this page helps? 😉

Judith
"Today ends tonight and tomorrow starts again."

Highlighted

Hi @Muse,

Thank you for you support and time. I've just purchased the Go Daddy bundle with wordpress + domain name but when I type my .com domain (unchartedroad.com) I am still redirected to my wordpress blog URL. How do I mask my wordpress blog URL and just land on .com domain that I bought?

Highlighted
Super User I

@lauparm

I went to your site and got the GoDaddy coming soon page.  I checked your DNS and it is for GoDaddy.  

If your hosting is with GoDaddy you'll just have to designate your URL for the new WordPress install on GoDaddy by going to this page.

If I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do, just let me know! 😉

Judith

Highlighted

Hey @Muse,

I did exactly what you told me to do, which is create a redirect to the wordpress site from the Go Daddy domain name.

I guess my next question is, can I take a step further and not display the wordpress url at all once users land on the site? Can the Go Daddy domain name/URL be the permanent one? Makes sense?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Super User I

@lauparm

Where is your hosting?  GoDaddy?

Judith

Highlighted

@Muse My hosting was with Wordpress. I asked an Go Daddy agent two days ago to get the hosting on Go Daddy as well. The customer service agent told me that after it processes it shouldn't redirect to wordpress anymore however, it still does at the moment. Should it take this long? 

Highlighted
Super User I

@lauparm

Shouldn't take long -- domain moves usually propagate pretty quickly.  

Look at your DNS record for a straggling A or CNAME record pointing to WordPress.com or your old IP over there.    What is your domain, I could check for you! 😉

Also, be sure to clear your browser's cache...

Judith

Highlighted

Ok so here is the info I gathered on the DNS info page of my domain. It says that the DNS automatically forward to Wordpress which is not what I want. Should I remove the template then? Thanks @Muse you were more helpful than the guy I talked to 2 days ago!

"WordPress template applied. Your DNS records automatically forward this domain to Wordpress. You can't change these records unless you first remove the template."

Highlighted
Super User I

@lauparm

I really need to see your DNS record.  Something isn't making sense.  If your domain name and hosting is now with GoDaddy we should see GoDaddy's nameservers and nothing else.

If you don't want to post your URL publicly, feel free to PM me and I'll take a peak and let you know! 😉

Judith