cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Unable to upload media: The uploaded file could not be moved to wp-content/uploads.

WordPress version 4.7

PHP version 5.3.6

Attempts to upload media (images) via the WordPress dashboard via either the multi-file or browser uploader return the error message "The uploaded file could not be moved to wp-content/uploads."

I have attempted to change permissions to the wp-content folder via FileZilla but get the response "500 'SITE CHMOD 775 wp-content': command not understood". I'm unable to change permissions via GoDaddy's File Manager as both the uploads folder and wp-content permissions are set to "inherit" and all other options are greyed out. It looks like they're inheriting permissions from the root folder.

I've created a php5.ini file in the root folder with the following:

file_uploads = On
post_max_size = 256M
upload_max_filesize = 256M
memory_limit = 256M
max_input_vars = 3000
suhosin.post.max_vars = 3000
suhosin.request.max_vars = 3000

The results show up in my phpinfo except for the last 3 commands. That may be different problem I'm trying to fix.

I've deactivated all plugins and still have the issue.

Even small images (512x512, 53KB) won't upload.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Unable to upload media: The uploaded file could not be moved to wp-content/uploads.

Hello @ackuhnz

Can you please put here the .htaccess file and please tell us what type of hosting you you have (web/linux/windows , with or without cPanel)

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.

Re: Unable to upload media: The uploaded file could not be moved to wp-content/uploads.

Thanks Adrian8:

There is no .htaccess file that I can access. How can I retrieve it or should I make one?

Hosting is Windows without cPanel.

Anthony

Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

Hello.
The .htaccess file should be there, maybe it's hidden.

You must try to find a way to give permission Web writable to those folders.

https://uk.godaddy.com/help/set-directory-permissions-windows-6481

Anyway, I'm not very familiar with windows hosting so maybe someone else can help you or you should call customer support.
Good luck.

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.

Adrian8: Thanks so much. I simply had to uncheck the "Inherit" box and then could access the other options. Now I can upload images without any issue. Sometimes it's so obvious I miss it. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Helper VI
Helper VI

@ackuhnz

Glad I could help.

Don't forget to mark the topic as solved.

Smiley Happy

Changing media upload folder

I tried to set a custom upload folder destination with this in the wp-config file. The images do upload to that folder, but the images won't load in WP. These are the lines of codes I used which worked on other servers, but I'm having trouble with Godaddy. No matter what I did with the .htaccess or install a rewrite plug-in, it won't work. The images load to the designated folders, but they won't load.

/** The upload location. */
define( 'UPLOADS', 'library' );

Please show me how I can set it up so all uploaded images goes to www.xyz.com/library/. Thank you,

New

topic issue on windows hosting

Hi 

I have developed wordpress but i am not able to upload pictures in the gallery its giving me below message

Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2017/02. Is its parent directory writable by the server?