cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
ingerama
Skilled

Want to test a few new themes on a Development Site. Should I use a sub domain?

I have a website that I want to test a few new WP themes on whilst leaving the site up live prior to using this test site to eventually replace the original site.

I know my options are to use a subfolder, a sub domain, use a new domain or to go down the local installation route.

I'm drawn to the sub domain option but how exactly does this work, has anyone used it and how simple is it to use the sub domain to replace the orginal site once I am happy with it

I'd like to add an issue with sub domains that if anyone has a solution to I would be grateful - why does the sub domain always seem to direct to the root directory and not the folder it was originally intended for?

I have c-Panel hosting on GoDaddy

Cheers

Neil

5 REPLIES
GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor
Solution

Re: Development Site

Hey there @ingerama,

Thanks for being a part of the community!

This one is easy peasy. Here's the simple instructions:

Use the search function to find Subdomains

Create the new subdomain (Ex. dev.domain.com, test.domain.com, etc.)

Go to Installatron and install WordPress to that subdomain (remember to use the http:// and not https://, unless you put an SSL on it)

Once you've completed your design and want to make the site live:

• Use GoDaddy ProSites to put your site under maintenance so visitors will know you're updating
  • Go into cPanel, then File Manager, create a file called "Archive" in the directory of your current live site, and archive the current live site WP files
  • Go back into the Application Manager in Installatron for the dev site
  • Select the clone option and clone it to the directory for your archived live site
  • Make sure to update your options table, make sure links work, etc.

Or...

Use GoDaddy ProSites to clone it over.

Or...

Use a WordPress migration plugin to overwrite the current live site. You'll have to do your own research for the best option here.

Best Regards,

Joe

Check out my site! | My Garage Articles | Portfolio/Resume

*Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you need additional assistance, you can see my pricing on my services page*

GoDaddy Pro
GoDaddy Pro
Solution

It's very easy to use test wordpress site in sub-domain. 

Once you setup test WP site. First, you need follow following steps to Discouraging Search Engines From Indexing WordPress

Access WordPress admin area and go to Settings and select Reading.

There you will find an option called Search Engine Visibility.

Check the box that says Discourage search engines from indexing this site. Press Save button to apply the changes.

I hope above small tip help you in future. 

Best Regards,

Kerry

ingerama
Skilled

Magic Cheers :-)

ingerama
Skilled

Thank you :-)

You're more than welcome!

Best Regards,

Joe

Check out my site! | My Garage Articles | Portfolio/Resume

*Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you need additional assistance, you can see my pricing on my services page*