cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate II Advocate II
Advocate II

What methods are you guys using to get paid?

Hey everyone! 

I was just wondering what you guys are using to get paid. Right now im using stripe

I use them for both one time and recurring monthly payments. Its so easy to use im loving it!

I no longer offer my clients the option to pay by a check manually every month it was just too much work chasing down money, its either autopay or nothing.

What are some of the tools you guys are using to get paid? What are your favorite sites?

Seeya around!

CEO of Antbuilt, LLC
12 REPLIES 12
Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

Re: What methods are you guys using to get paid?

Wow, I was not familiar with this, but I just checked out their website. I am definitely going to look into this more, thanks for the tip!

For so many years now, clients have paid me with checks, most through their online banking (so they don't even have to write a check or find a stamp). I have procrastinated moving to credit card payment because of the fees -- and I don't want to raise my rates just to cover fees. But I am thinking I just need to move in that direction anyway.

Did you evaluate other systems and choose this one for any particular reason? I'd love to hear about your decision-making process and criteria or evaluation factors that led to this solution (vs. PayPal, Quickbooks, or any other type of online payment solution).

Advocate II Advocate II
Advocate II

I absolutely looked into other options.

I wasnt really into PayPal because it seemed sort of unprofessional to me. I didnt like the whole "PayPal me" thing. What if someone didnt have an account with them? I also found it kind of hard to send invoices etc.

I also looked into square, which is stripes main competitor - they are more focused on having that person-to-person communication, its more focused on being an "in-store" kind of system.

Quickbooks simply confused me. I just overall hated the system.

In the end I decided to use stripe, its internet business friendly, easy to use and works extremely well for both one time and recurring payments. Its awesome.

In terms of fees, it is costing me a little, but the peace of mind of being automatically paid at the end of every month is worth the small fee's that they take. You wouldnt have to change your pricing completely just to start taking credit cards - a very small tax every hundred bucks would take care of it.

The other day I took a payment of $1850 - I ended up making $1800 - a loss of 50 bucks in fees. Around 2.75%

So if you charge an extra $2.75 per $100 - you wont take a loss! Totally worth it!

CEO of Antbuilt, LLC
Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

Sounds great and I will definitely look into it. I don't really deal with automatic payments, because I send invoices on the first of the month for work done during the previous month. 

So not every client gets an invoice every month, it depends on what they asked me to do (if anything). 

However, I am considering some services which WOULD be billed monthly or quarterly and this would be perfect. 

From what I saw, I could set it up on my website to take payments and then if someone gets an invoice they can just go there to pay me. Just about everyone pays me within a few weeks, and they know I hold the keys to the site and it might disappear for non-payment. I've only had to do that about 4 times in 17+ years. But of course doing it online with a card would be faster and more efficient!

And yes, I have the same feeling about PayPal, it just doesn't give quite the same professional impression.

But just to clarify, the 2.9% + $00.30 is all of the fees? It sounds like this covers the credit card processing fees as well, which would be great.

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

We probably take every payment method there is? We basically will use whatever payment method the client is comfortable with. Larger clients are generally billed and pay with their business card or company check. We have Stripe, Intuit, PayPal, Square... but our favorite way to get paid is via our bank. We have Chase, Bank of America and Wells Fargo, those typically cover every customer. They all have a bill pay option and we encourage our clients to include us into their monthly bill payment. That is a great option for us because it can be done via a method they already know and trust and we receive our payments easier with no additional cost or service charge.

Where you are dictates what you use, you don't want to be caught looking like the dinosaur in the room. I actually went to an event last week and there was a woman who couldn't accept credit cards in 2016! Well, she is a client now so we will get her store point of sale, website and mobile payments all setup. In our retail location and on our website we use POSIM integrated with Magento and advise our clients to that method as well.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

I forgot to make note of the opportunities available from payment processors. I have participated in events hosted by PayPal, Intuit, American Express, MasterCard and Square based on using their payment method or accepting their cards. If I didn't accept PayPal I would miss out on those opportunities.

Additionally payment processing is a business expense and should be treated as such. When figuring out your pricing structure you should note expenses like employees, insurance, bank fees, rent, payment processing... For me it seems very "gas station" to have a different price based on what is the most convenient method of payment for your client.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Advocate II
Advocate II

One method not mentioned here that I use is Payoneer.  

This is a great option if you are located outside the US, but have US-based clients.

It has also pretty much become a standard option for receiving payment from CPA/Affiliate networks.

Jackie

Advocate I Advocate I
Advocate I

For the past few years I've been using Paymo. It allows my employees to track their time per project & task so that I can manage what I'm paying out as well as taking in. I can customize the emails/invoices that are sent out and each user is provided a link to make a payment online or they can submit a check. The major downfall to this system is that it's not incredibly good looking - or at least the look I want my business to have. So we are working on a system that will allow for ticketing, time tracking and payments. Hopefully integrate this through a plugin with all our clients sites so that they can submit a ticket as well as pay an invoice (through a link) right from the backend of their website. Oh - if we only had time to get this implemented!

Follow along to get our latest small business marketing tips from our blog.
Advocate I Advocate I
Advocate I

I use Freshbooks for client accounting and invoicing. It's a much slimmer alternative to Quickbooks, gives me a lot of control over billing, and allows the client to pay with a credit card, paypal, or check. I didn't shop around much for a solution, as Freshbooks has a nice integration with FreshDesk (no relationship between the two companies except in name), which I use for time tracking client work.

Both systems have a clean professional interface for clients with my branding, and both keep me up to date with realtime notifications. Freshbooks invoices have email automation, and the system records when the client views the invoice. 

I agree with allowing clients to pay via any method. It should be transparent to the client, not a hassle, as long as they make timely payments per set terms. If it comes to haggling over money on either end (beyond pricing & quotes) that's a poor relationship to be avoided. 

The web never sleeps
Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

Just to close the loop, I took @AnthonySiringo's advice and looked into Stripe. I have it set up now and am really looking forward to sending out this Friday's invoices with the announcement that I can now take payment online.

For anyone else who might be considering Stripe: I found their online documentation to be excellent, and it was easy to integrate with my WordPress website. I use Gravity Forms, and it turns out there is a plug-in that lets GF work with Stripe, so you can have the payment forms look just like the other forms on your site (if you don't want to use Stripe's format). Also, using GF I could create a nicer receipt than what Stripe generates. I realize these are optional things, and it works fine without. Just pointing out that I was happy it integrates.

Here are some other WordPress plug-ins that integrate with Stripe. 

The one thing I did not like (and so far this is minor), is that there is no phone support. I had originally contacted them and hoped to talk to someone with some questions. They did respond promptly by email but said they just don't do anything on the phone. Again, since their documentation is really good, and they are very responsive by email, so far it's not an issue.

It remains to be seen whether clients like it, but so far I'm happy! Thanks again, @AnthonySiringo

Helper IV Helper IV
Helper IV

Lots of thumbs up with the suggestions above including Freshbooks and Stripe. We use a forms builder called Formstack to setup a check out system that sets up a recurring billing relationship. The form collects the basic information including giving a discount if you buy a year's worth of support up front. The form also invokes a recurring billing profile with Freshbooks and sends the invoice back to the customer. They can setup recurring billing with PayPal or use the Freshbooks auto-bill feature to setup a recurring billing via a credit card directly with Freshbooks. It event Tweets out a message about a new order if the customer says it is ok to do so.

The key I found is to be clear about charges and make sure you have your billing system send out invoices properly, accurately and with late reminders.

Here's our plans page here the system can be see in action. Let me know if you'd like to know more.about how we set this up.

Alex Sirota, PMP - NewPath Consulting - Schedule some time with Alex
"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
New

i ve just want to add my payoneer account into godaddy paye if oneday i get paid  selling my domain but unfortunately, i think it's not possible because of  local bank which is suportting only my currency(USD not included there) .I think i can't add payoneer because of currency . im affraid  i will not get paid . plz would u help me how to set up payoneer account into paye 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kimo12,

Here are all of the payment methods that GoDaddy currently accepts https://www.godaddy.com/help/payment-methods-we-accept-for-purchases-8061. Please check through this list to find a payment method that is listed and works for you. Take care!

Rachel