cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it a requirement to buy an SSL for a simple, personal Blog? It's too expensive

So my problem is this error message on my brand new GoDaddy Wordpress site: 

-This site can’t provide a secure connection

-Site uses an unsupported protocol.

-ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
-Unsupported protocol
-The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.

My website is just a basic personal Blog, no sales will be made and no personal info will be given on it. So why do i have to pay so much for an SSL? As other discussions regarding this error have shown me, the only way to fix this issue seemingly is to just buy an SSL. When I was making the purchase for this website, it didn't say ANYWHERE that it requires an SSL. If that info was given before i made the purchase, it would've really helped avoid all this confusion. Is there a way around this? Maybe I don't want my website secured. Why isn't that an option? 

10 REPLIES 10
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Why is it a requirement to buy an SSL for a simple, personal Blog? It's too expensive

what is your website

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com

Re: Why is it a requirement to buy an SSL for a simple, personal Blog? It's too expensive

its the GoDaddy Wordpress Deluxe package. It doesn't say anywhere that an SSL is required, why didn't GoDaddy make that mention clear?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @derpmcturd,

Wordpress sites are probably the most hacked sites on the web these days. Hackers love them. 

Maybe that's why. It's not whether you are selling stuff on your site. More of a case of sites getting hacked and used without knowledge of owner for fraud. 

I must add add that a well designed Wordpress site is most likely ok. But unfortunately there are a lot of bad ones run by the least technical folk. 

ok thank you.  

@rammsteinium wrote:

Hi @derpmcturd,

Wordpress sites are probably the most hacked sites on the web these days. Hackers love them. 

Maybe that's why. It's not whether you are selling stuff on your site. More of a case of sites getting hacked and used without knowledge of owner for fraud. 

ok thank you. So you're saying there's no way around it? No way to NOT buy an SSL? You're saying buying an SSL is basically a requirement and without my site wont even show up?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@derpmcturd wrote:

ok thank you.  

@rammsteinium wrote:

Hi @derpmcturd,

ok thank you. So you're saying there's no way around it? No way to NOT buy an SSL? You're saying buying an SSL is basically a requirement and without my site wont even show up?

Please don't put words into my mouth, I said nothing of the sort..........

but if it's a requirement then it will be there somewhere in writing. I don't have anything to do with weird press sites, so I don't read docs I don't need to. I was not aware it was a requirement but I know from these pages alone where all the problems lie. 

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

What is your domain?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @JHasselbring,

I'm awarding you a kudos because that's the second time you have had to ask for the domain 🙂

Hey @derpmcturd,

To my knowledge WordPress does not 'require' an SSL. However, I think what @Anonymous</a> was trying to point out is that they're 'recommended'. Think of it as an extra precautionary measure on top of other regular maintenance items such as keeping WP, themes, and plug-ins updated to help prevent holes in the site that Hackers will try to use to compromise your content. 

While we're mentioning themes and plug-ins, I can't say for certain if this is what is actually requiring the SSL. Since WordPress is open source, different developers are going to have different requirements for their scripts to function. @JHasselbring is right, we're going to need a domain to look at the issue occurring on your site so other members can see what is causing this and offer more suggestions on how to resolve it. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Hi @derpmcturd,

What I believe is happening here...

Wordpress is not the issue here in this case, and however it is know to be an insecure platform, The issue here is that, most modern browsers will do a quick probe into the site you are attempting visit. In your case I'm guessing its probably flagging your website, due to elements that can be know to be "untrustworthy", however there is ways of getting around this.

You are going to need to get your website looking more friendly to search engines i.e google...

Some things that will help: 
- Try getting your site as SEO friendly as possible. (A google analytics account will help its free, and plugins like JetPack that will help with SEO).

- Try ensure your content does not look generic, name your images to correlate what they represent and ensure you have no broken links.

If you practice the above you can get search engines to stop flagging your site as insecure, but note that it can take up to 3 weeks for search engines to recognize any change.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

This is happening because OP is trying to serve HTTPS through 443 without a valid SSL certificate.  The question is why and how... Until I find out what the domain is, I won't be able to investigate.