cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Wordpress wp-login.php does nothing

My hosting was just transferred to "Deluxe Windows Hosting with Plesk" , Had to reset all the permissions to allow WordPress to update (save media, save posts in the dashboard). I was unable to get plugins updated, so I ended up doing a number of things that were suggested online and that made it much worse (updating permissions via FTP, creating a new user via the Theme functions.php, etc.). Now the site is down, and I cannot log in. If I go to wp-login.php and enter my credentials, it just sends me back to wp-login.php. No message, nothing other than the login screen.

I have renamed plugins and theme folders, still not working. I have used Chrome and Firefox, cleared caches, and manually reinstalled WordPress 5.3.2. I have, to the best of my knowledge, given the ApplicationPoolGroup, modify and write access for all relevant files. I think that's the right thing to do. I have FTP access, and created an "oops" page, but how can I access my Wordpress dashboard now?

What am I missing?

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@Sue12 

A couple of things  - I am assuming you have a backup of the site....

1) Personally I recommend NEVER hosting WordPress on Windows - while it can / will run - there are often more issues involved

2) I would recommend starting with a clean site / new install of WordPress and get that working first - then once that is working import your data / themes / plugins etc

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User IV

@Sue12 

A couple of things  - I am assuming you have a backup of the site....

1) Personally I recommend NEVER hosting WordPress on Windows - while it can / will run - there are often more issues involved

2) I would recommend starting with a clean site / new install of WordPress and get that working first - then once that is working import your data / themes / plugins etc

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post