cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

index.html in public_html directory but site is not showing it

Greetings,
I have a managed wordpress site with a theme installed.
I'd like to add my own files onto the homepage so this is what I did.
These are the files :
Folders: Fonts , lib, loading, media, skin
Files: fonts.css,  script.js, index.html

added all my files to public_html, then renamed index.php to indexxx.php (so that it doesn't get called), the edited .htaccess with code DirectoryIndex index.html, so that it looks for my index.html and have it do the work.
when I open the website it loads the wordpress theme that was initially installed and not my files.
I also noticed after ending filezilla session and accessing it again index.php shows up again but it's 0kb and empty
Tthe .htaccess has this line  DirectoryIndex index.html, so I'm confused and don't know ho w to fix this.
You help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: index.html in public_html directory but site is not showing it

@FahidK 

This may not be possible on the Managed WordPress platform. They have most of the files locked down to prevent changes due to a compromise. 

On this one, I would suggest contacting support and finding out if this is even possible on their MWP platform. You may have to move to a cPanel Linux platform to do this type of work. Even then you may need to hire a developer to help you out.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted
New

It was working a couple of months ago, but suddenly after a couple of wordpress updates it stopped working. Those files represent a virtual tour, so the website was a virtual our only, no headers no footer etc..
I didn't even have cpanel , and now support wants me to purchase cpanel and transfer to there. 

There must be a simpler solution.

New
Solution

The current workaround the worked is if enter www.website.com/index.html it works, therefore I just redirected www.website.com to   www.website.com/index.html