cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

is 301 link is best for ranking or it will effect my site ?

I am running my website on WordPress CMS and someone recommended me to use 301 links from authority site to my own website. can anyone tell me that is it a good practice or not ? Looking forward for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Muse
Super User I

@lizasmith317 

If an "authority website" links to you --  they link to you directly and there is no redirecting going on.  Plus you have no control over how that is setup or structured.     

Where the redirect comes in is if you change that linked to URL on your site.  You don't want to lose that incoming link, so you would do a 301 redirect to the new URL on your website.

301 redirects are what you use on *your* website when you change a URL on your website.  You then want to use a 301 redirect to point the old URL to the new URL on your website.

In regard to rankings -- 301s help to maintain 90-99% of the link juice/authority of the original link. 

Does that help? 😉

Judith
"Good things happen to those who hustle." ~ Anaïs Nin

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Muse
Super User I

@lizasmith317 

If an "authority website" links to you --  they link to you directly and there is no redirecting going on.  Plus you have no control over how that is setup or structured.     

Where the redirect comes in is if you change that linked to URL on your site.  You don't want to lose that incoming link, so you would do a 301 redirect to the new URL on your website.

301 redirects are what you use on *your* website when you change a URL on your website.  You then want to use a 301 redirect to point the old URL to the new URL on your website.

In regard to rankings -- 301s help to maintain 90-99% of the link juice/authority of the original link. 

Does that help? 😉

Judith
"Good things happen to those who hustle." ~ Anaïs Nin

View solution in original post