cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnleemsw
Novice

webpage can not be indexed by search engines

Had some malware on my wordpress site, and I believe I removed it all. I'm still getting errors stating that search engines can not index the site. I have a sitemap, but I keep getting an error from Google "

General HTTP error: 404 not found HTTP Error: 404" 

The website is up and functional, www.johnleemsw.com, but Google and other search engines are not able to index it or anything like that.

Any thoughts on what I need to do?

Thanks so much.

5 REPLIES 5
Pro Community Founder Artisan Pro Community Founder Artisan
Pro Community Founder Artisan

Re: webpage can not be indexed by search engines

Hey @johnleemsw

If your website is recovering from some kind of an incident it could be that you have a bit of a indexing ban? There is a simple thing you can do to check, just put site:yoursite.com into the Google search bar and check out the results. Generally you can expect to see a basic indexing of your website from the Google search of course replace the yoursite.com with your own URL.

If you are looking to be best indexed in Google you will want to take advantage of the Google Webmaster tools and claim your website. You will find TONS of tools to help with the indexing, checking and monitoring of your website. Hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

johnleemsw
Novice

i forgot to mention, that i had tried this, and nothing but random blog post page comes up. any other thoughts on what i can do?

Great, you are a step ahead of me @johnleemsw I think you and I got the same result, it looked odd to me as well. Google says that a website may not be properly indexed if:

• The site isn't well connected from other sites on the web.
  • You've just launched a new site and Google hasn't had time to crawl it yet.
  • The design of the site makes it difficult for Google to crawl its content effectively.
  • Google received an error when trying to crawl your site.

I have a crazy question. You don't have the "Discourage search engines from indexing this site" under Settings > Reading checked do you?

Other things you can check are:

• check your Robots.txt file to make sure there is not disallow text in it
  • check your ,htaccess file for infinite loops
  • check your Meta Tags for NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW text

Have you claimed your website in the Google Webmaster Console? They should be able to analyze and point out and issues with your configuration.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

johnleemsw
Novice

i've actually had the site up for about 5 years, i was just negligent in monitoring what was going on with it. so in the past google was able to crawl it and would show up on search results. currently google can't even fetch it, or crawl it.

i've submitted sitemaps, and they can't find it.

robots.txt is very simple

.htaccess file was also good

not using any meta tags

i've deleted all malware files

i'm running both yoast and wordfence plugins, whether they are active or not, no difference in whether google can fetch the page.

what am i missing, do i need to call godaddy?

Curious but this doesn't seem like a GoDaddy specific issue? I see that you are using a child theme, have you looked into those potential configuration issues and differences? What is your Google Web Tools saying?