• VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Can't access external API

Hi

I have shared hosting on godaddy. I'm trying to access an external API but always the following error in the browser dev tools.

XMLHttpRequest cannot load xxxx. 
    Response to preflight request doesn't pass access control check: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin'
    header is present on the requested resource. Origin xxxx is therefore not
    allowed access.

I have tried to set headers in .htaccess file like this:

Header always set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"
    Header always set Access-Control-Allow-Methods "POST, GET, OPTIONS, DELETE, PUT"
    Header always set Access-Control-Max-Age "1000"
    Header always set Access-Control-Allow-Headers "x-requested-with, Content-Type, origin, authorization, accept, client-security-token"

but not luck.

Any other settings I can do to get this work?

4 REPLIES 4
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: Can't access external API

Hi @hengun348

Welcome to the GoDaddy community! Thanks for your post!

Usually, if you're encountering a setting that you're not able to update, it's usually due to the servers security policy or configuration. In this case, it's likely that the shared account you're on wouldn't allow you to change the header information, as that's what the server uses to correctly direct traffic to a specific website on a shared IP address. In this case, you may need to host in a different environment if you need additional access to the server configuration. Cloud, VPS, and Dedicated Servers give you the ability to customize the environment as needed. 

Does anyone else in the community have direct experience in changing these settings?

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Advocate V Advocate V
    Advocate V

@hengun348

You haven't included any code to indicate how you're accessing the external API.

Are you using jQuery AJAX?  The return should be type jsonp and crossDomain should be set to true.  a jQuery example:

$.ajax({
    url:'http://whatever.com/endpoint/', dataType: 'jsonp', crossDomain: true, data: {'id':1, 'att':'fullName'} type: 'GET', success: function(data) { ... } })

If that doesn't help, please post some code for us to work with.

Keep on Coding!
    Mark Cicchetti - There are 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks for the help guys. I tried to do the request via jQuery (with crossDomain set to true), angular as well as vanilla JavaScript.

I finally contacted the the provider of the API and it turned out that they did not support requests via frontend. I did a request via php instead and that worked out.

Thanks again

Can you please share the code snippet as to how you mange to do that?