• GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Cannot allocate memory - couldn't create child process

Hi, I am not sure if this belongs here, but my server keeps showing this error in the log and crashes my site.

Here is an excerpt from the log.

[Fri Sep 27 08:04:43.767542 2019] [:error] [pid 31017:tid 139630393423616] (12)Cannot allocate memory: [client 132.148.86.120:54916] couldn't create child process: /usr/sbin/suphp for /home/folder/public_html/index.php
    [Fri Sep 27 08:04:43.714647 2019] [:error] [pid 30867:tid 139630330484480] (12)Cannot allocate memory: [client 58.69.77.226:49966] couldn't create child process: /usr/sbin/suphp for /home/folder/public_html/index.php, referer: https://domain.com/home/osnet_home_page
    [Fri Sep 27 08:04:43.712915 2019] [:error] [pid 30867:tid 139630330484480] (12)Cannot allocate memory: [client 58.69.77.226:49966] couldn't create child process: /usr/sbin/suphp for /home/folder/public_html/index.php, referer: https://domain.com/home/osnet_home_page
    [Fri Sep 27 08:04:43.689506 2019] [:error] [pid 30846:tid 139630225585920] (12)Cannot allocate memory: [client 132.148.86.120:54912] couldn't create child process: /usr/sbin/suphp for /home/folder/public_html/index.php
    [Fri Sep 27 08:04:43.552450 2019] [:error] [pid 30986:tid 139630278035200] (12)Cannot allocate memory: [client 58.69.77.226:63906] couldn't create child process: /usr/sbin/suphp for /home/folder/public_html/index.php, referer: https://domain.com/home/osnet_home_page
    [Fri Sep 27 08:04:43.552163 2019] [:error] [pid 30929:tid 139630267545344] (12)Cannot allocate memory: [client 58.69.77.226:63904] couldn't create child process: /usr/sbin/suphp for /home/folder/public_html/index.php, referer: https://domain.com/home/osnet_home_page
    [Fri Sep 27 08:04:43.550316 2019] [:error] [pid 30986:tid 139630278035200] (12)Cannot allocate memory: [client 58.69.77.226:63906] couldn't create child process: /usr/sbin/suphp for /home/folder/public_html/index.php, referer: https://domain.com/home/osnet_home_page
    [Fri Sep 27 08:04:43.069393 2019] [:error] [pid 30848:tid 139630299014912] (12)Cannot allocate memory: [client 58.69.77.226:49968] couldn't create child process: /usr/sbin/suphp for /home/folder/public_html/index.php, referer: https://domain.com/home/osnet_login

I have these as settings and server status:apache.png

phpinfo.png

server resource.png

php ini memory limit was set to be 128M, I tried increasing it to see if it helps to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I'm pretty sure the server is still good enough for my client size. I have around 2000 users and I can't measure how many would access the site at the same time.

Error says, cannot allocate memory and couldn't create child process. I have 8GB RAM I don't think that is the issue. so I'm thinking APACHE limits(see image 1). I played around the settings and it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks!

PS: I hope i'm not giving away too much information that would compromise my server.

PPS: I have absolutely no server(web or otherwise) administration background.

PPPS: I'm really really stuck at this for a very long time. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

7 REPLIES 7
    Super User I
    Super User I

Re: Cannot allocate memory - couldn't create child process

Hello and thank you for reaching out.

Can you gives more information about your setup and what your using for your website (ie. WordPress)?

That might help us community members out some.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
    Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

Hi @davisdre317 

I'm maintaining an HRIS system using codeigniter and MySql.

Around 2000+ users, mostly active at night, with almost 1GB database size. Server details are already in the image included in the initial post and apache setup.

I'm really not sure as well what other info you might need to help me.

about a year ago, I had a similar problem, and I fixed it by increasing apache limits in the screenshot. The difference with the problem now though is that before, my server would actually crash and show almost 100% RAM usage.  Now the server resource looks great, but pages still crash frequently during peak hours(login/logout time of employees). And I'm at my limit(knowledge wise). I can't find anything online that can help me. A lot of people are having the same vague error in the logs, but they solved theirs by increasing phpini memory_limit, and it's not working for me.

Any ideas where I could start to check? I will post the findings in the comment and we might be able to solve this together.

Thanks for the reply BTW.

Super User I
    Super User I

Hello,

I'm curious to know what OS are you running on the server?

Also, when monitoring your server during the peak time how are you monitoring the servers resources? By the GUI screenshot you sent OR on the actual server?

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
    Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***
    Highlighted
    Super User I
    Super User I

Hello,

I also assume the HRIS that you are running has the latest version that your vendor has to offer?

Do you have support from your HRIS vendor? If so, what was there recommendation to your issue?

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

It's a custom HRIS system we developed ourselves with codeigniter, so no for the support, because we are the support. Smiley Very Happy

As for the server monitoring, I have absolutely no idea how to do that in real time. I rely on the system resource status in the godaddy(screenshot that I sent) and the error logs from cpanel. Other than that, nothing. I wanted to run something I found somewhere before, a code you run in putty to see server status, but our terminal connection have a very short session, that if you run the code and leave it to monitor changes, you get marked as idle and disconnected.

Our server is running on a centOS 6.

Super User I
    Super User I

Hello @ikoymaster 

I would think it is one of your PHP scripts that is having the issues, maybe due to user permissions since its referring to /usr/sbin/suphp, which suPHP is a tool for executing PHP scripts with the permissions of their owners.

I also just noticed suPHP is really no longer supported as well, I guess that also depends if you're using a alternative fork as well. 

What PHP version are you running? 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

Super User I
    Super User I

Hello @ikoymaster 

I'm curious, are you using GoDaddy VPS or GoDaddy dedicated? If you are using GoDaddy VPS services, the issue could rely on the LVE features for your container that you are on. If so, you would need to talk with GoDaddy support for them to check that. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis