• VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Centos 6 to 7 upgrade

How do we upgrade from Centos 6 to 7? In the godaddy interface, the only OS options available when destroying and rebuilding are CentOS 6, Windows 2008 and Windows 2012.

Additionally, the only available data centre is in north america? Aren't there supposed to be more to choose from?

5 REPLIES 5
    New

Re: Centos 6 to 7 upgrade

I would also love to know how we are expected to do this with CentOS6 being deprecated next year.... I would rather not have my files and database wiped...

Super User III
    Super User III

@programmdude &  @aja206 

GoDaddy actually has a new "Gen4" VPS which has Cent OS 7 as well as SSD HD and a few other enhancements.

If you are based in the US, your will need to use http://uk.godaddy.com which will switch you to the UK portal where you can order it and provision it in the US Data Center or in one other the other data centers.

You will need to migrate and cPanel accounts you have configured on the server. Personally I have done this with the WHM transfer tool. The biggest thing is making sure your PHP / Apache / other software versions match between the two servers

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

New

I was also told through GoDaddy support chat (a guy named Ron that was rather short with me) that they will be forcing CentOS7 upgrades on all current CentOS6 servers November of next year....

Super User III
    Super User III

@aja206 

That is interesting as when I asked about it, I was specifically told they were not going to be upgrading the current servers as doing an OS upgrade, and that is why they now have the Gen4 VPS. Upgrading the OS on a server is a big deal, the same way you don't typically see host doing Windows Server version updates - just the security updates that get installed not the whole operating system.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Product Team
    Product Team
    Solution

Sorry if you received incorrect information regarding a possible upgrade from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.

We will not upgrade VPS3 from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7 as this would most likely have an impact on the application and configurations of our customers. In addition, the technology used in VPS3 does not allow an OS version upgrade without a full virtualization technology upgrade.

The only way to get CentOS 7 is to switch to our new VPS4 product and migrate the content/sites to the new server. 

VPS4 is not yet live on our US site, but can be reached via our UK site, for example:

https://uk.godaddy.com/hosting/vps-hosting