• VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Helper I

Cpanel Addon domain or Alias not working??

Hi ive got a Cpanel VPS setup on one domain but ive been trying to get addon domains or alias domains to work from another domain to a 2nd site on this cpanel but it works fine setup as a subdomain in a subfolder but if i try adding as an addon domain which then creates a subdomain itself the subdomain stops working and same if i use alias domain the subdomian stops working?  Ive even tried using Go Daddy's DNS forwarding to the subdomain site on this 2nd domains subdomain WP site but it doesnt seem to work still?  Can I do what im trying to do on Godaddy Cpanel VPS hosting?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@johnkenny 

Doing nested HTTPS can be tricky especially depending on where you are forwarding to - as many sites will block loading in frames.

As you suggested Cloudflare maybe the solution

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
    Super User IV

@johnkenny 

I'm not 100% following what you are attempting to do.... if you could post some screen shots....

some questions....

1) Is this a VPS Server or a specific cPanel account

2) What is the primary domain on the account?

3) What is the add-on / sub-domain you are trying to add and where are you adding it

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Sorry for the late reply, apparently my DNS forwarding with masking works as i contacted godaddy support who confirmed there end the forwarding was working but somethings breaking at my end which ive still not solved?  HTTP works perfect but not HTTPS for somereason, godaddy DNS isnt great from the records i can use on my domain also as Godaddy forwarding with masking is basically using an IFRAME page that loads the the target url im still investigating whats breaking the browser my end? But thanks for the reply but seems godaddy managed to resolve my threads subject since posting.

Thanks

Oh forgot to add that i ended up having to scrap the CPANEL addon / alias domain stuff as godaddy said i was best off just using the main domains DNS forwarding & masking ability to the 2nd subdomain url...

@johnkenny 

The biggest issue with this is that the GoDaddy forwarding service does not support HTTPS.

What I mean by that is you can Forward to an HTTPS Destination, but you cannot have HTTPS on the source (a.k.a the domain you actually want to forward)

Thanks for the confirm that was what i was hoping it wasnt HTTPS? Can i assume forwarding without masking would work then if its not using an IFRAME page?  But problem is i still need the end browsers address bar to show the main starting domain name and not the target FWD'd too domain name?  I may have to use cloudflare DNS now and use URI records maybe what would you suggest for HTTPS to HTTPS but not changing the address bar in the users browser?  

Thanks

@johnkenny 

Doing nested HTTPS can be tricky especially depending on where you are forwarding to - as many sites will block loading in frames.

As you suggested Cloudflare maybe the solution

View solution in original post

Yeah Godaddy is great for hosting and support but there DNS management has been lacking for ages now but its only just become a problem as i now need to use DNS records godaddy still doesnt let you use.

Thanks again