• VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Highlighted

Have to reboot every few days

So I believe I've broken something on my VPS. I upgraded cPanel, and attempted to upgrade PHP (found out later that was unnecessary). Now, my VPS regularly stops loading and running both WHM and cPanel. I have to go in from the GoDaddy portal and reboot my server.

I'm contemplating a Destroy and Rebuild, but I have to make sure I don't lose any data -- especially email. I am also running a Connectwise Control, and I want to be sure that works afterwards, but worst case I can reinstall that.

So what's the best process? Can I restore from a snapshot, or will that simply restore the crap I screwed up, too?

Thanks in advance from anyone with experience in this process.

1 REPLY 1
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: Have to reboot every few days

@gibsonse 

This is a little bit of a hard one to answer as there could be a number of reasons why this happening.

Doing a Destroy and Rebuild  would at least give you a "clean" server, my concern with doing any sort of restore is that is something with a configuration issue that it will just put it right back in place.

One thing to consider (and I've had this once or twice over the years) is after having a server for about 4 years I started having issues with Apache randomly crashing and not restarting

I ended up getting a new server and just transferred the cPanel accounts and everything worked great moving forward....

GoDaddy now has Gen4 VPS - if you are based in the US you have to use uk.godaddy.com to order it.

The big advantage is CentOS 7 and SSD - so if you need to take the time to rebuild / restore the server this might be the better option - Just putting it out there

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community