• VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

How to Reset Cloud Server Password

Can anybody help me with resetting my main password?  The help section has instructions which are outdated, as there is no option to reset password in the "Manage Server" section.

Any help would be appreciated, this is crippling to my workflow right now.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How to Reset Password

Hey @almondmeal

First let me say welcome to the community! Glad you took the time to join us and start your first discussion! Smiley Happy

Just to clarify, when you say "main password" are you actually referring to accessing a Cloud Server account via SSH? Have you tried the troubleshooting steps in the following article: I cannot connect to my server via SSH.

If you're not on a Cloud Server plan, can you clarify what type of hosting plan you're trying to get access to? You might be referring to the wrong help article with reset instructions.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Yes, accessing cloud server via SSH.  I neglected to note the password I set when I first created the server, and there is no obvious way to reset the password.  I'm also not even sure what the username is, to be honest.

Following these steps: https://www.godaddy.com/help/reset-your-password-12005, it is unhelpful because there is no "Support" section after clicking "Manage".

Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Hi,

You have two options:

1) You can connect to your console via our control panel at cloud.godaddy.com. You will then have to boot in to single user mode. Once in, you will need to mount your hard disk in read/write mode and then change your password. Reboot and login with your updated password. (This option requires linux admin experience, but there are plenty of tutorials on how to do this). 

2) You can create a snapshot of your server and then spin up a new server form that snapshot. During the process of spinning up your new server, you will be prompted for a new username and password.

For GoDaddy Cloud Servers we don't install any agents inside the VM, so we have no means to get in to your VM to do a password reset for you. 

Regards,

Brad

Thanks,

Brad

Dev Manger - Cloud Servers
    Highlighted

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm now running into permission issues even with my password. The "su -" method of switching to a super user is not working.  I'll open another thread for that.

Hello!
    I don't have knowledge of Linux can you please help me with this:
    "You will then have to boot in to single user mode. Once in, you will need to mount your hard disk in read/write mode and then change your password. Reboot and login with your updated".
    A step by step commands or something.
    Plus can I add a SSH Key to an existing server?
    So i can give temporary access to someone?
    Please help.