cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Helper II

How to request an IPv6 address / range

Hello,

I'm trying to follow this tutorial from cPanel on how to setup and configure IPv6 for my VPS server running CentOS: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Guide+to+IPv6+-+How+to+Get+Started+With+IPv6

I've already read: https://www.godaddy.com/help/adding-ipv6-addresses-to-your-linux-server-7539

I'm getting a little confused though.   This is the part on the cPanel documentation that is confusing me:

To acquire an IPv6 address range, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Most ISPs assign IPv6 addresses in large blocks or ranges.

We recommend that you request IPv6 addresses for the following purposes: A single IPv6 address for the server itself, which you can assign to individual accounts as a shared IP address.  An IPv6 range to use to assign individual dedicated IPv6 addresses to accounts.

I went into cPanel and just randomly picked an IPv6 range and assigned it to my server.  From a Windows machine, I was able to successfully ping ipv6.mydomain.com.   I'd imagine that I would, in fact, request an IPv6 range from my hosting provider (GoDaddy).   What's preventing me from assigning an IPv6 address that's already been assigned to another server that someone else owns?

If I'm correct, how do I go about requesting an IPv6 address to use on the server itself and an IPv6 range to assign individual dedicated IPv6 addresses to accounts?  I'd really like to switch my server over to IPv6 and use IPv4 just as a fallback option.   Any suggestions?  Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: How to request an IPv6 address / range

Hello @SporkSchivago, if you've been allocated an IPv6 address for use with your GoDaddy VPS, you would be able to see it listed in your account summary per the following instructions: https://www.godaddy.com/help/locating-your-servers-ipv6-addresses-7533.  If you do not see any addresses listed as allocated, please reach out to our live support teams for further assistance.  Thanks!

MPC

Helper II

@MPC,

I have already been to the document you linked me too and only saw IPv4 IP addresses.   So I am not allocated any IPv6 IP addresses.  Are they something I have to pay for?  I'd hope not.

Also, how come I was able to just randomly pick an IPv6 range in cPanel and set an IPv6 address in cPanel and ping my server, using the IPv6 of ping and have it return the IPv6 address I assigned in cPanel?   What's preventing a malicious person from doing the same, but assigning an IPv6 address that belongs to someone like google.com?   I would have thought I'd have needed to of been assigned an IPv6 address by GoDaddy before being able to assign my server one, like I did.

Thanks.

Helper II

@MPC,

There has to be some mistake here.   Your documents say by default, the VPSs have 4 IPv6 addresses.   You told me to call live support, which I just did.   I called them, and they said because IPv6 is so new and hasn't been widely adapted yet, there's no way to assign me an IPv6 address.
    November, 2016, 22.70% of Alexa Top 1000 websites are reachable with IPv6.   that's almost a 1/4.

I don't understand why this GoDaddy website says by default, GoDaddy assigns 16 IPv6 addresses to our Linux servers:
    https://www.godaddy.com/help/adding-ipv6-addresses-to-your-linux-server-7539

The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) first published the IPv6 protocol in 1998.   The internet uses IPv6 and even my home PCs have an IPv6 address.   When I ping a website like Google, I see I'm pinging an IPv6 address.   cPanel supports IPv6.   Surely, the tech support person I talked to (in Hosting Support I believe) was mistaken, right?

Can I really not have an IPv6 range of addresses?   Is there no way to assign my VPS an IPv6 address??   Are all of the GoDaddy documents on configuring and adding IPv6 documents a mistake?

If this is some horrible mistake and I really can have an IPv6 range, how do I go about acquiring it, because talking to live support doesn't seem to be the way to go.

This is very frustrating.

Thanks.

Helper II

So I called GoDaddy's hosting support again, hoping that the person I talked to last night was misinformed.   This person, Jordan (sp?), looked into the issue, and he spent a good deal of time, thoroughly investigating this for me, which I appreciate.   He says the type of VPS I'm running is what they call a Vertigo server.  After reaching out to an admin, he was told the documents on-line are meant for the older type of VPSes and not the Vertico ones.   He said there's no way to have IPv6 addresses for the Vertigo servers, which I didn't really understand why.

In cPanel, I was able to assign an IPv6 address, similar to Google's IPv6 address.   It worked.   I was able to ping my server using the IPv6 protocol, it returned the IPv6 address.   So, the servers are physically capable of having an IPv6 address.   I told him how this was important to me, and he looked into it further.   He said there's no way to get me an older type of VPS that supports IPv6 addresses and even the Cloud servers don't support IPv6.

I'm having trouble understanding why.   I know the server supports IPv6, because I was able to assign an IPv6 address to my server.   I just wasn't assigned the IPv6 address I used.   I don't understand why GoDaddy just can't go to the local Internet registry (LIR) or National Internet Registry (NIR), or their appropriate Regional Internet Registry (RIR) and obtain an IPv6 address to assign to me.

He put a note in my account.   Because I cannot obtain an IPv6 address, unfortunately, I'm going to have to switch to another hosting provider.   I might not be able to get a refund but he put a note in my account and said when I'm ready to make the switch, to contact the hosting department and they'll explain everything to the refund department.  Because they cannot assign me an IPv6 address and because I almost need one, he believes I'll be able to get a refund.

I can administrate my server without one, but it's become a real pain in the butt.   I have down time every time PowerDNS gets updated.   People that use only IPv6 addresses cannot access my website at all (and probably will never know why), I feel not having one is a big deal.

I found this site:

http://readwrite.com/2011/11/20/godaddy-accounts-for-lions-sha/

and I'd like to quote something from it:

Go Daddy’s Chief Technology Officer, Dave Koopman, told us that “Go Daddy sees IPv6 
    enabled services as critical to the continued growth of the Internet.Go Daddy has
    completed Glue records, /32 allocations from ARIN, RIPE and APNIC with transit to all
    of our data centers worldwide, and most recently, as noted, our entire 30MM+ customer
    DNS system is running on IPv6 dual stack. Soon, we’ll have IPv6 on our Dedicated,
    Virtual Dedicated, and Fourth-Generation Web Hosting. All of Go Daddy corporate websites
    and products will use IPv6 dual stack” eventually.

Here is somewhat dated but a more complete explanation and links to their
    implementation

This was published on November 20, 2011.

I don't want to leave GoDaddy.   I've thoroughly enjoyed renting a server from your company.  I've enjoyed helping other people on the forums, I've enjoyed being helped, I've enjoyed talking to tech support.   I feel the servers are good servers, there's very little down time.   To move to another provider isn't an easy choice.

Before I go though, I'd like to know why GoDaddy cannot provide IPv6 addresses to their customers.  I want to be absolutely certain I cannot get an IPv6 address before making the switch.

Thank you.

Helper II

Did my last post get removed somehow?   I'm pretty sure I hit submit.  If I violated the terms of agreement, I apologize for that.   I just wanted answers, that's all.   I hope my post didn't come off as me being rude or anything, that wasn't my intent.

Thanks.

Hey @SporkSchivago,

Not showing any messages removed from this discussion. If there was a concern of a message not being in line with the Community Guidelines, we try to message you directly about it. 

Regarding this current discussion, I think the confusion may be stemming from the version of VPS plan being used. Our earlier versions of VPS and Dedicated Servers did include IPv6 addresses that you could setup using the instructions from some of the articles previously mentioned. But newer versions of our plans no longer have this functionality. Judging from how the conversation went with the support agent you spoke with directly, they must have verified your plan was on the newer versions. 

I'll be honest; I'm not an expert with IPv6 setups. My best guess is the reasoning behind the removal of the feature on our newer server versions may have something to do with less than expected adoption rate after it's launch. However, I know this should still be possible to setup in a cloud server. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    Helper II

@CG,

Thank you.   Maybe I submitted but got logged out or something?   I won't repost the entire message.   Just certain parts.

I'd like to quote something from this site I found: http://readwrite.com/2011/11/20/godaddy-accounts-for-lions-sha/

Go Daddy’s Chief Technology Officer, Dave Koopman, told us that “Go Daddy sees IPv6 
    enabled services as critical to the continued growth of the Internet.Go Daddy has 
    completed Glue records, /32 allocations from ARIN, RIPE and APNIC with transit to all 
    of our data centers worldwide, and most recently, as noted, our entire 30MM+ customer 
    DNS system is running on IPv6 dual stack. Soon, we’ll have IPv6 on our Dedicated, 
    Virtual Dedicated, and Fourth-Generation Web Hosting. All of Go Daddy corporate websites
    and products will use IPv6 dual stack” eventually. 

This was published November 20th, 2011.

My server physically supports IPv6.   I know this because I assigned an IPv6 address that wasn't allocated to me.   It belonged to Google.   I was just messing around and didn't think I'd actually be able to use it.   I accidently "spoofed" it.  After inputting the address, I was able to successfully ping my domain, using the IPv6 protocol, and had it respond, with the IPv6 address I had set.

When I talked to tech support, I was under the impression they didn't really know much about the protocol and maybe thought this was something they had to enable on my server.   They couldn't.   I think this is where the problem comes from.   If I'm not mistaken, the IPv6 addresses (along with IPv4 addresses) are acquired from either the local Internet registry (LIR), the National Internet Registry (NIR), or the appropriate Regional Internet Registry (RIR).

All I need is for GoDaddy to allocate a range of IPv6 addresses for me.   I really only need one, but if it's easier for them to allocate 16, I'm okay with that.   This is something that I really need.   If I really cannot have an IPv6 address, unfortunately, I will have to find another hosting provider.

I don't want to leave GoDaddy. I've thoroughly enjoyed renting a server from your company. I've enjoyed helping other people on the forums, I've enjoyed being helped, I've enjoyed talking to tech support. I feel the servers are good servers, there's very little down time. To move to another provider isn't an easy choice.  If GoDaddy could just tell me what IPv6 addresses I can use, I can set it all up myself.   It's not hard to setup...I just cannot obtain one myself.   They have to obtain it from the above mentioned places.   From the quote I posted, it sounds like GoDaddy already has IPv6 addresses that they're allowed to hand out.  I'm just thinking none of the tech support people about it or how to do it.

Is there any way you could possibly contact someone a little higher up in the IT department, someone that knows a bit about IPv6?   This is my last attempt at trying to acquire one.

Thank you.

Helper II

@CG,

I'd like to add, the last time I talked, tech support made it very clear there is no way to get IPv6 addresses.   They said there's no way to downgrade me to the old servers that use IPv6, they said my current VPS (the Vertigo servers) are too knew and don't support it, and they specifically said even their Cloud Servers don't support IPv6.

Also, I believe CPANEL-9666 and CPANEL-9315, when implemented into cPanel, will prevent PowerDNS from being installed if the kernel doesn't support IPv6.   By default, the PowerDNS that gets installed with cPanel has a configuration file that expects IPv6 and PowerDNS will fail to load unless you edit the config.   Every time PowerDNS gets updated, the configuration file gets reverted.   No one can get to your site until you log in via SSH (using the IP address, not the hostname), edit the config file, and restart PowerDNS.   It's a pain in the butt and I know I didn't notice the last time and my site was down for who knows how long.

Solution

Hey @SporkSchivago,

My apologies for the miscommunication. After speaking with a few members from our development teams for VPS and Cloud Servers, we cannot issue any IPv6 addresses for use with either services.

I'm sorry to relay this news. While IPv6 is an important product feature, due to the low demand I previously mentioned it is not something we currently support in these environments. However, this is under consideration on our future VPS offerings and will be prioritized on the development roadmap. Keep an eye out for further announcements.

Helper II

@CG,

Maybe the documentation about IPv6, especially the ones that say the VPSes come with 16 IPv6 addresses by default, should be removed until GoDaddy re-implements them?   Unfortunately, at this point in time, I'm going to have to switch to another provider.

The program I'm writing will have IPv6 support, and although I'm not quite there yet with implementing it (or any of the networking functions, for that matter), there's really no sense in me paying for a VPS that doesn't support IPv6.   The DNS server I run expects IPv6 support, and although I can modify the config file and replace the IPv6 stuff with IPv4 stuff, every time it gets updated, the config file gets replaced and my server goes down.   This causes issues.

After talking with cPanel, if I understand them correctly, they're going to require IPv6 support in the kernel in order for a user to install cPanel.   They won't require an IPv6 address, but at least require IPv6 support.   They will check for the presence of a file.  In a Virtuozzo environment this file will be /proc/net/sockstat6, but in a non-Virtuozzo environment, I believe this file is /proc/net/if_inet6.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.   I appreciate it.

Spork

Helper II

I'm not trying to cause trouble here, but this is not right.   I paid ahead for my VPS to January 18th, 2018.   I needed a domain and server for my actual source code that I'm writing.   Originally, I had a shared hosting environment, but the stuff I needed for my program needed stuff I could only get with a VPS.   I called GoDaddy and asked all kinds of questions where I couldn't find the answers on your site.   I ran across the document that says only the VPSes are given IPv6 addresses, so I didn't need to ask about that, it was right there, in writing.

Although I haven't needed IPv6 addresses until now, if I knew the document was wrong and the VPSes didn't have IPv6 addresses and there was no way for me to get one, I would have never of rented a VPS from GoDaddy.

Helper II

Thank you CG!

Just in case anyone runs across this thread, GoDaddy, as of November 24th, 2016, does not support IPv6 on any of their servers.   Even if you run a dedicated server and compile IPv6 into the kernel, they will not assign you an IPv6 address.   Hopefully this changes in the near future.   If you run across any documentation on GoDaddy's site that says they support IPv6, make sure you call to verify and just not assume the documentation is correct.

Thanks!!

IPV6 Support on VPS?

Does anybody know whether a VPS here has IPV6 Support?

Re: IPV6 Support on VPS?

As of April 12th, GoDaddy still does not assign IPv6 addresses. I went through the same exchange with GoDaddy support that the original author of this post did a few weeks ago and was told they still do not provide the IPv6 addresses and have no firm plans or dates indicating when they will provide them

I find this totally unacceptable and the excuse there isn't much demand for IPv6 does not cut the mustard. I'm trying to roll out a mobile app which was rejected by the Apple Store because it failed their IPv6 compatibility test. Since June of 2016, Apple has strict rules requiring all mobile apps in the Apple Store be IPv6 compatible. Given the number of mobile apps that exist and the growing popularity of the mobile world, GoDaddy's statement that there's little demand for IPv6 does not make any sense

I'm now shopping for a new hosting provider and will be reluctantly leaving GoDaddy. We have a lot of products with GoDaddy besides the VPS, so this is a large effort for my company, but we do not have any other choice

Re: IPV6 Support on VPS?

GoDaddy is just wrong in claiming that there is little demand for IPv6:

80%+ of Verizon Wireless traffic is IPv6.

80%+ of T-Mobile traffic is IPv6. 

55%+ of Comcast traffic is IPv6.

35%+ of US traffic to Google is IPv6.

25%+ of US traffic to Akamai is IPv6.

24%+ of the Alexa top 1000 run IPv6.

http://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/about/our-thinking/state-of-the-internet-report/state-of-the-internet-i...

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption&tab=per-country-ip...

New

It's 2017. GoDaddy still can't so much as issue an ipv6?  ...Really?  This is already standard procedure on much smaller server companies. What's worse is the fact that we're not getting any timeline, so that'd generally means it wouldn't be within 6 mo to a year. Pretty disappointing.

Just talk with Support team on today ,

They said Go Daddy are no longer work with IPv6 , is that true ?

Solution

Hey @TopGoBeyond17,

Apologies for the confusion caused. IPv6 is supported fully within our DNS services. If you have a domain utilizing our DNS services, you should be able to point them to IPv6 addresses with the steps here

Regretfully, our hosting services are not yet setup to issue IPv6 addresses. This is still being looked into by our development teams.