• VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

How to transfer a domain name from godaddy to a VPS Linux

i have a domain name wich i want to transfer to a VPS linux, how can i set up the new server and move the domain name to it?

4 REPLIES 4
    Highlighted
    Super User II
    Super User II
    Solution

Re: How to transfer a domain name from godaddy to a VPS Linux

Hello 

Zulfiqar Anees | GoDaddy Pro | Founder/CEO at FastTech Media, TechMag, and ZulWeb.
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

@alpharep 

My recommendation is to just point the IP address and manage the DNS within the GoDaddy control panel.

You can "Add A Host" and use the VPS as the DNS server as well, but I don't recommend this as if your server ever has any sort of issue your entire domain / related services would be down

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@PL281 wrote:

My recommendation is to just point the IP address and manage the DNS within the GoDaddy control panel.

Just a follow-up question, to clarify. Let's say you have the domain in question living on your VPS server. Let's say you've registered the domain with GoDaddy. So my normal move would be to reset the nameservers to the VPS and then manage all DNS stuff from the VPS.

Your suggesting it would be just as well to skip that move? Leave the nameservers pointing to the GoDaddy default ones (nsXX.domaincontrol.com, usually). Edit the DNS records that you need to edit to make things work, but don't transfer the nameservers (and thus control) over to your VPS?

Super User III
    Super User III

@saccenti 

That is 100% correct - I find that the GoDaddy DNS works fine and is responsive (you can set the TTL down to 10 minutes) 

It's one less thing for the VPS to have to do

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community