• VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Issue with Folder and File ownership

Hi all,

I hope someone can shed some light on this for me…

Having issues with not being able to upload files, or update plugins on cPanel VPS with WordPress installed. Error is along the lines of "cannot create directory". I have checked the permissions of the folders, and they are currently 755 (which is what they should be), but still no uploads/updates working.

I read somewhere that it could be an "Ownership" issue. If that is the case, what is the best way to remedy the problem?

TIA

3 REPLIES 3
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: Issue with Folder and File ownership

Hello there,

This sounds like more of an issue with the hardware. You may have to call in about it.

You can check your file permissions via SSH and make the changes you need but that's an advanced way of doing things and I wouldn't suggest it unless you're familiar with working in a Linux terminal and using the commands correctly. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

@Galalad,

Thanks for posting. I'm not sure if you still need help with this, but you will want to first ensure the default directory where uploads are stored hasn't been changed. This will help to ensure you're focusing on the correct directory. Then, you can normally resolve these types of issues by ensuring the directory in question has a 755 permission set applied to it. You may also need to change which user owns the directory. The ownership and permission requirements can vary depending on how the server is configured (Apache MPM, PHP handler, etc.). It may help to review the permissions and ownership of other directories and files though.

Aaron | GoDaddy - Managed Services

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for the response. All sorted now thanks. We moved our hosting over to the Business platform and all seems to be good now.
    Kind regards,
    Craig