Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    tswidler
    Helper I

New server email notifications not smart enough for HDD usage

We now have a new tool which send your notifications about the health of the VPS. Unfortunately other than turning on or off it does not allow you to customize triggers. I get now every day a) 2:46 AM "Your server usage is currently very high. Your DISK usage is currently at 95%. Please, sign in to fix this problem" b) "Your DISK usage was high earlier, but everything looks good now." Guess what happens around that time - yes my server backups...

I also find there is not enough data provided to give me an intelligent idea what is happening. 

So in short I turned the HDD part off.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@tswidler - thank you for the feedback, we will share with our team.  If your disk space is spiking to 95% each night for backups, do you have any suggestions on how you think it should behave?  You'd like to configure the %?  Turn off alerts during certain hours?

As for downtime on your weekly server backups, this should no longer be occurring (your feedback was helpful in fixing this).  Please give it a shot and let us know what you see.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

I like all your ideas. I guess 95% is reasonable. Would love in the error message to read what the exact space usage was at the time of error. I noticed that on my server the problem only exists for about 10 minutes. So a good idea is to maybe specify the length of time the space is above a threshold prior to triggering. I guess I can just adjust my backup schedule. 

6 REPLIES 6
    PL281
    Super User IV

@tswidler 

I hear what you are saying, that being said - Personally this raises a flag for me if your server is spiking when doing backups - are you backing up all your sites at the same time with an external script?? can you stager the backup??? something just seems off that it should be spiking the usage like that.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

No it's normal behavior. Its is a normal WHM daily backup which needs to succeed before recycling (deleting) a previous daily backup. Therefore for this brief moment the disk is a little full. I like to keep as many local backups as I can with the space allowed. 

@tswidler 

Gotcha - so for example you are at like 47% full and when it does the backup it doubles the space and then clears the duplicate.

One thing you may not be aware of is GoDaddy includes a weekly backup with the Gen 4 VPS which I don't believe is counted against disk space - just making sure you are aware.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thank you I am aware of the weekly backup. For a while I disabled that one because it brings down my web-site for 8 minutes with all services including emails. I had long discussion with tech support about it and said in this day and age (mirror tech)  there should not be a downtime for performing a server backup. I just activated that one again and will see if it still downs my services for a period of time. Also those are total backups and not per account per site per database etc which allows for a more selected restore. Thanks for trying to help. I was just posting this not that I have to fix something but as an improvement.

@tswidler - thank you for the feedback, we will share with our team.  If your disk space is spiking to 95% each night for backups, do you have any suggestions on how you think it should behave?  You'd like to configure the %?  Turn off alerts during certain hours?

As for downtime on your weekly server backups, this should no longer be occurring (your feedback was helpful in fixing this).  Please give it a shot and let us know what you see.

Thank you!

I like all your ideas. I guess 95% is reasonable. Would love in the error message to read what the exact space usage was at the time of error. I noticed that on my server the problem only exists for about 10 minutes. So a good idea is to maybe specify the length of time the space is above a threshold prior to triggering. I guess I can just adjust my backup schedule.