cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Highlighted
    New

Outgoing email bounce back

All the email send out of our VPS server bounced back, sample error below;

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

jamestwice1@gmail.com
        host dedrelay.secureserver.net [208.109.80.54]
        SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
        552 5.2.0 aqsPhFQbtAhMl Smiley Very HappyED: Access to this mail system has been blocked for 132.148.247.133 due to spam activity. Spam was seen coming from this IP, and possibly other scripts running on it. For help resolving the issue, see http://x.co/spamclean. Once the compromise has been cleaned, please contact customer support to remove the block.

I am not sure this TXT configuration ("v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:10.193.83.3 ~all") is correct as no one has been able to send email out of this server since we purchased it.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Outgoing email bounce back

@pcare wrote:

I am not sure this TXT configuration ("v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:10.193.83.3 ~all") is correct as no one has been able to send email out of this server since we purchased it.

On my VPS, that default TXT did work for me, but when I examined the source on emails sent that way, I noticed that they were getting SPF fails. This alone was (for me) not enough to cause the email to fail, but if I understand correctly (I may not!) it is one factor among many that spam filters consider. 

For me, this adjustment resulted in SPF "pass" results:

v=spf1 mx include:secureserver.net ~all

If I understand correctly, what that notation above is doing is marking the GoDaddy("secureserver.net") relays as approved.

This may not be getting at your real problem though. And it may not even be a Best Practices recommendation. I certainly defer to any who understand this better. I'm learning...