Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    KevinC
    Getting Started

Pointing Domain from one GoDaddy shared account to new GoDaddy VPS account

I've recently signed up for VPS hosting as my current GoDaddy shared account isn't meeting my requirements/needs with an app I'm hosting. I've got a number of domain names on the shared account which I'd like to eventually point to the VPS account but in the meantime I'm trying to set it up with one domain that's not being used so that I can test it all and set up the VPS server.

I should mention that both the shared hosting and VPS are on the same GoDaddy account.

On my shared account all of my domains use GoDaddy premium DNS nameservers, on the VPS it uses ns*.secureserver.net.

My question is how do I point the domain to the VPS server? Normally if I wanted to point the domain name to another host I would change the nameservers in the domain name DNS settings to point to match the nameservers for the other host, but that doesn't work with the VPS because the VPS nameservers (the ns1 and ns2 ones mentioned above) show as being retired when I try to change them to those.

I've been googling and searching the help pages and it says that you change the A name in the DNS to match the IP address of the server I want to point it to (the VPS one) but that isn't working. It might be a time thing where I have to wait a few hours for it to register but I wanted to check if I'm missing a step. Changing the IP address I've left the nameservers as they were which is the premium DNS ones. Is that correct? Is it a time thing where I'd have to wait a few hours for the domain name to register the change and redirect to the new IP address?

Could any of these on the DNS be clashing?

Awww.mydomain.comXXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    CNAMEwww@
    CNAME_domainconnect_domainconnect.gd.domaincontrol.com

Thanks,

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    KevinC
    Getting Started

This has now been sorted. It was a time thing and the table of settings for the DNS page I provided above were correct in case that helps anyone else.

I also left the nameservers the same as they were before I purchased the VPS server, those were the GoDaddy premium nameservers.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    KevinC
    Getting Started

This has now been sorted. It was a time thing and the table of settings for the DNS page I provided above were correct in case that helps anyone else.

I also left the nameservers the same as they were before I purchased the VPS server, those were the GoDaddy premium nameservers.

View solution in original post