• GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Setting up via IP Address (rather than domain name)

Hi There and thanks in advance for any help.

I have a basic account where I was able to configure a wordpress site under an ip address  (ie 166.xx.xx.xxx/~username/wp-admin)rather than the domain name. This was all good as that account has both the domain and website hosted by GoDaddy. 

The trouble comes with a customer who has just setup a VPS on GoDaddy. Their domain is currently hosted and registered elsewhere and, while it will be moving later, thats not happening now.

Because of the way it was set up 8 odd years ago, there is no access accept for via the wordpress  install. We cannot get root access and the company that is hosting it, well they are not being very helpful.

So I am wanting to install wordpress under the new VPS ip address rather than using the domain name.... Which it wont do.... 

Once I have the new website setup, and tested, I will point the DNS settings at the current register (a 3rd company) to look at the new server..... but until then .....

When I go to install the wordpress currently under the drop down box the Ip address and user name is there, but the install returns

! A test of the selected domain has failed (HTTP error: 404).

{installatron} is unable to install on a domain that is not resolving/loading to this web account.

If this is a new web hosting account, or if this is a newly registered domain, please allow up to 24 hours for the domain to begin working (though usually within a few hours).

If you're sure that the domain is correctly loading to your web account, contact your web hosting administrator.

The VPS was only setup today. IS that the reason and I just need to wait? (I can set it up using the domain name but then cannot change it, nor can i seem to access it at all)

Any help or assistance would be welcome as I am a novice at many things. I have looked through the community but cannot see where this issue has been dealt with.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    SeanB

SeanB
    3 REPLIES 3
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: Setting up via IP Address (rather than domain name)

@SeanB1 

There is a setting in WHM "Apache mod_userdir Tweak" that needs to be enabled for this to work. 

Personally I would recommend just creating a sub-domain on the "cPanel" account on the VPS

If you have access to the DNS already - then you could do new.domain.com 

If you don't you could do client.yourdomain.com

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Re: Setting up via IP Address (rather than domain name)/?isc=gdcommment

trying this now ..... thanks for your help and advice.

SeanB

SeanB
    Highlighted

Re: Setting up via IP Address (rather than domain name)

it was easiest to reset to the server back to the defaults, and go down the path of a subdomain and point it at the dns of the VPS. The install into the subdomain took seconds and can now also be access.....

Then once the testing is done, it shouldnt be too much of an issue to clone/move the site into the main domain.

Thanks again for your help.

SeanB