Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted
    New

can't find server after adding an IP address

Hi All,

I added an IP address to my server in the Server Dashboard tonight and now none of the domains on that server can be accessed via HTTP - they all come back with a can't find server message. Everything is accessible via the dashboard > CPanel, and I can access other services running on them like ping and a database server, just nothing web related.

I have tried the ubiquitous reboot a few times to get a full-server restart, and a ps -ef shows that httpd is running in the process list, but still nothing.

Any ideas as to cause?

cheers.

Craig.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
    Highlighted
    Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Re: can't find server after adding an IP address

Hi @CraigR. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! My guess would be that you're encountering DNS propagation. Adding a new IP address to a domain can take a bit to start working in all locations. I would guess it has cleared up by now but if you're still seeing the error I'd recommend 1) clearing your browser cache and 2) try updating your computers Hosts file to force it to use the IP. If it's still not coming up after that, then you may want to connect to our hosting support team so they can have a look. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
    Highlighted
    Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Hi @CraigR. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! My guess would be that you're encountering DNS propagation. Adding a new IP address to a domain can take a bit to start working in all locations. I would guess it has cleared up by now but if you're still seeing the error I'd recommend 1) clearing your browser cache and 2) try updating your computers Hosts file to force it to use the IP. If it's still not coming up after that, then you may want to connect to our hosting support team so they can have a look. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
    New

Hi JesseW,

Agreed - was just very confused by the fact that it only seemed to have affected some services, and not others. It appeared that only http was at fault.

The service did come back on after a few hours from what I have been told (was away from comms for quite a while since posting this, so was not able to update).

Appreciate the help.