• GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

cron not running on time

Setup a cron job to run at 2.30am every day, and it's running at 9.30am instead.

After initially attempting to run the job at 2am, I found it wasn't running at all, so I set it to run on the hour, every hour and I found that cron often skipped an entire hour, or even two, catching up with the missed hours an hour or two later. This strangeness I found was solved by running the job on the half hour, however now I've defined it to run at an individual half hour, it runs 7 hours later.

The server time is correct, UTC, so I'm at a loss as to understand a) why jobs are skipped and b) why my specified 2.30am UTC timeslot is run at 9.30am UTC instead.

2 REPLIES 2
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: cron not running on time

Hey @spgadmin. Welcome to GoDaddy Community!

My guess is that the server is running the crons based on our time in AZ, which is UTC -7. My understanding is that's how the servers generally run. I don't think that can be changed. If you can provide more information regarding the environment you're hosting on though, that may help others give you more suggestions. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: cron not running on time

Just had the same issue.  I had to schedule the job at UTC -7.  

I wanted it to run at 00:15 UTC so I had to set the time to 17:30 for it to run at new day plus 15 min (UTC).   Hope this helps others..  Was a Pain in the A$$ to figure out!