• GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

port 2224

We have a Gen4 dedicated server 2016 with GoDaddy.  We have to change the hostname to make email work.  This is greyed out in the Settings panel.  When asking tech support, I am told that I am blocking ports 2223 and 2224.  I created allow rules for incoming and outgoing. But, still GoDaddy tech support tells me the ports are blocked.  Is there another way to open these ports?

I appreciate any help.  Emails going to any European server is blocked at this time.  

11 REPLIES 11
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: port 2224

@Hawkspoint 

Port 2224 is used by GoDaddy to communicate between the Dedicated Server and the GoDaddy Dashboard (setting up cPanel accounts / seeing server stats etc)

What exactly is the bounce / block message you are getting that makes you think 2223 and 2224 are related to this?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Telnet my ip 2224 --> could not open connection to host, on port 2224: Connect failed

same with telnet localhost 2224

Super User III
    Super User III

@Hawkspoint 

I understand that if you telnet to port 2224 that it is blocked - and that is ok.

Your original post said / that this was causing an issue with email, but port 2224 is unrelated to mail services.

Is there something specific that you need port 2224 open for?

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

I have to have that port open so that I can change the hostname to same as my email server.  

This is a GoDaddy thing!  The hostname can only changed in the settings panel, but, because, according to GoDaddy tech support, my port 2224 is blocked, and therefore the host name cannot be changed.  

Super User III
    Super User III

@Hawkspoint 

1) Yes - if port 2224 is blocked then the GoDaddy Hosting "Dashboard" https://myh.godaddy.com/?prog_id=GoDaddy#/hosting/vps4/servers/........ will not work that is correct.

2) If you go onto your server in WHM and do a search in the left bar for Host - there is the option to change the host name

3) You should not need to change the host name in order to have email work. 

Highlighted

As I mentioned, that link is grayed out 😞

It is required, because a reverse lookup shows a different domain then the one in the header of the email.  In Europe, they have tighter rules, and these values have to match.  Otherwise - no email

Super User III
    Super User III

@Hawkspoint 

Ok - I understand about the EU regulations... 

The screen shot below is from my server.... You are saying it is greyed out here???? or in the GoDaddy Dashboard? 

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 8.21.24 AM.png

My control panel looks different; it is for a Windows server.  And, yes, the link is grayed out.  

Super User III
    Super User III

@Hawkspoint 

Windows is very different - I assumed this was a Linux server - So can you post some screenshots of where things are greyed out - You'd have to look at the windows firewall to see if the ports are listed in there - you may want to disable the firewall all together - reboot the server - update the host name via the GoDaddy control panel and then re-enable the firewall.

GoDaddyServerSettings.jpg

On the 4th attempt, GoDaddy tech support found out that part of their software on my server required re-installation.  (The port was never blocked) After that, I could change the reverse lookup result under manage IP.  

Thanks