• Website Design & Development
  • Website Design & Development

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Uploaded pictures Ghosted Invisible until scrolled over. solution

I uploaded pictures from my documents file from my computer to my Website and they looked good. However, there were a few pictures that showed up as blank in the white box as if invisible and as if nothing was there until I put the cursor over top of it and then it showed up in the ad box above it.

One of the pictures were my main category picture which was invisible in my main category home page and I had to find the problem. I checked and compared, the properties, file types, sizes etc and even tried copying and even re cropping to find out what made this picture different in that it was like a ghost but nothing was out of place leaving me frustrated and clueless.

My pictures are all label as the camera originally  labeled them with alphabets and numbers identifying each picture.

I found that simply by RENAMING the picture fixed the problem, but don't forget to delete the previous one you have already uploaded. Rename the picture on your computer whether it is in your documents, downloads or pictures file and then reupload it into you Website and it should show up like it should and fix the issue. Good luck!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User II

@ClearlyCASPER 

Good catch! 🙂

Actually, you should always change the file name of your photos to be descriptive of their content.  That helps a bit with SEO and also for you when looking at filenames to know what those photos are without actually having to view them.

Other file naming tips:

=> Keep them short and simple.

=> Use dashes, not underscores.

=> Stick with alpha (abc) numeric (123) characters. Never use: /:*<>?

Another thing I see folks do with their camera images is uploading them in their original size right off the camera.  In most cases those images are way too large and therefore use resources unnecessarily and slow down your site.

So while you are renaming your images, also resize them down to a manageable size for where they will be used.  Get in the habit of knowing what sizes are used where and do not upload images any larger than necessary for each space.

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "I never lose. Either I win or I learn." ~ Me

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Super User II

@ClearlyCASPER 

Good catch! 🙂

Actually, you should always change the file name of your photos to be descriptive of their content.  That helps a bit with SEO and also for you when looking at filenames to know what those photos are without actually having to view them.

Other file naming tips:

=> Keep them short and simple.

=> Use dashes, not underscores.

=> Stick with alpha (abc) numeric (123) characters. Never use: /:*<>?

Another thing I see folks do with their camera images is uploading them in their original size right off the camera.  In most cases those images are way too large and therefore use resources unnecessarily and slow down your site.

So while you are renaming your images, also resize them down to a manageable size for where they will be used.  Get in the habit of knowing what sizes are used where and do not upload images any larger than necessary for each space.

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "I never lose. Either I win or I learn." ~ Me

View solution in original post