• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Added sections are different blacks...doesn't look seamless.

Hi, just started using GoCentral Website Builder and as I'm adding sections, I see that some are blacker than others...black should be black.  The about us black is not as dense as the other blacks; it doesn't look professional; is there any way to change this?  I'm sure I'll have more questions as I progress, but this is big because I'm a visual company.  Thanks, Jeff

19 REPLIES 19
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Re: Added sections are different blacks...doesn't look seamless.

Hi 👋 @FilmDud,

Believe it or not, black is not black and true black is to be avoided really:

http://ianstormtaylor.com/design-tip-never-use-black/

But if you insist then let us have your domain name so we can have a look and see what you mean 😀

FilmDude...not Dud 🙂  My site is a film/video production company and a black background makes it looks more cinematic and stand out from other sites.  My existing site is www.actionmedia.tv  but I'm working on a GoCentral site this weekend and hope to have it launched on the 4th, when no body is looking, so I can test it.  A black background is one of the choices in the builder, white, black or gray...so at the very least, they should be consistent...even if they are not total black. On one computer monitor where I have the brightness turned down, it wasn't apparent, but when I started to work on a mac, I saw the difference.    I appreciate you taking the time to reply; I'll let you know when it's life.  thank you. Jeff

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Lol @FilmDude,

I'm so sorry I typed @FilmDud........ it was an honest typo 🙂 Glad you have a good sense of humour.

Mac's show up a lot of differences to a pc......... and literally sometimes, put Windows in the shade!

Your existing site looks quite good though, even though your link to it doesn't work in these posts. I had to hand type it ( hey, isn't hand typing just SO yesterday? ). Is this the site we are talking about, or your new one?

Current one looks good! 

Glad you have one as well.    What's odd is that I'm having issues with my existing word press site, it was hacked 2 years ago (fixed since), but never the same since, so that's why I'm using GoCentral.  So right now on my PC, I can get to my existing, but on my Mac, I can't.  Every week I get an email from Google saying my site can't be found, and then two days later it says "great news, your site adheres to our guidelines and is reinstated".  I've been through the mill with my existing site. 

it's really funny you said hand type, I tried copying text from One Note into website builder and it crashed Safari, so I have to type all my notes manually.   Current one looks good, but it's not functional regarding SEO and too many issues with the cherry framework.  So I'm trying to mimic my existing site but using builder...thus the black.  Thank you for your replies...  Jeff

the photo uploader isn't working, here's a link to dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnqtq27qgjqkj4k/A%20Screen%20Shot.jpg?dl=0

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi again @FilmDude,

a small pointer, don't use or copy text from a word processor such as one note, or write site files with them. They will mess everything up as they use a lot of invisible characters to format the text. 

A cause of so many problems when folk copy and paste without realising this. 

Always either use a developers text editor, or at very least select plain text setting in processor. 😀

( I realise that one note is not a bonafide word processor, but it does use the same type of software) 

One Note was a lifesaver while working on a feature length doc over the past two years, so it just became my go to program for the "written word".  

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @FilmDude,

i don't think I have a bad thing to say about one note actually. It's very good for collaboration with other colleagues. But not for writing website files, that's all. 

😀

Hi, the issue is definitely with the About Us section, that is the only one with the lighter black.  Also, I can copy and paste from One Note on Windows to Builder, but not on Mac.  I have one more page to go, but it's a complex one; still hope to have it uploaded by Monday night...but I delete my old site first; hopefully it allows me to publish shortly thereafter.  Jeff

Hi @FilmDude.

I think what you are describing is part of the design of Website Builder GoCentral. Each section in GoCentral alternates between a slightly darker and a slightly lighter background color. This is done to help differentiate between sections.

If you create a new page and add two mostly empty sections you should be able to see the difference.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 Support | Check System Status

Thank you Gary, Yesterday, as I was looking at the site on my phone, I wondered if it was by design. I get the thought process behind it, but don't necessarily agree with it from a design perspective; to me, it ruins the flow and looks like a mistake...of course design is subjective :-).  Perhaps for the viewer it helps to identify the sections with a color, but that's what the headline text is for.  thanks for your reply.     

Happy to help out, @FilmDude. Thanks for following up and providing your feedback on it.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 Support | Check System Status
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @FilmDude@GaryA,

So grey is the new black then? Oh.............. Ok.

I'm sticking with pure code lol Cat Happy 

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colornames.asp

Exactly! 🙂  That's pretty much my biggest issue.  That and I can't add a "back to projects" button at the bottom of each sub page that isn't on the Nav Bar.  

I just figured this one out.  Add a section of HTML between the two sections - then don't type anything into the HTML box. This null section will pickup the goofy color but will not show up in the site.  The 2 sections before and after will now have exactly the same background colors (it you picked the same color in the builder).

Hi, Ironically, I was so disappointed by the way it looked, that last week I decided to go with the gray background and I actually prefer it now.  I didn't realize there was an HTML option...but I get it, this will be the charcoal gray, while the other sections will show up black...good to know if I decided to change it back or do another site.  Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.  

Each section you add you have a choice of 3 colors. If you start with black, the the colors are: BLACK, LIGHT BLACK, and WHITE. When I use the BLACK for a section, I add a section and make sure the color is BLACK, the one on the left and not the middle color, LIGHT BLACK. 

Good luck! 

Hi, that's not the issue, www.actionmedia.tv As you keep adding black, every other section is a lighter black, that just looks washed out.  If you can look at my site, you'll see what I mean instantly.  Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.  Jeff

Hi..... I see that you changed the color on the site from black. It looks very nice now! Here is a link to mine, I was having the same problem ... every time I added a new section, it was a lighter black with grey letters. When I went to the Accent Colors, the 3 colors were 1 Black, 2 Off Black, and 3 White. It defaulted to the Off Black so I changed it to the first color, Black. I now have a seamless site:

https://hempboardwax.com/

Hi, every section is supposed to be black, but I was told my GoCentral staff, that it was by design to make each section be a different shade of black...I totally disagree with their thought process, and I told them that that's what the headers are for.  I actually forgot that I changed it, mostly because I couldn't get each section to match. I went to your site, it looks great.  I did what you said, but didn't end up with the same result; perhaps they fixed it. When did you design your site?  I made it gray over the Summer I believe.  thank you, I appreciate it.  Jeff