• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Adding CAPTCHA to Contact Form on my online stores

I am getting, what I suspect are bots sending ( many bad )messages through my "Contact Us" form.

I appreciate the simplicity of the store. Very smart design! Slick and dummy proof.

As such, store owners have no control with back-end design. But this does put the onus back to GoDaddy developers to ensure basic "Best Practices" are maintained.

Please add security. A CAPTCHA would be nice. Some say it's not compatible. No excuse ... build your own code.

Hopefully this will get to developers.

Mont
    17 REPLIES 17

Re: Adding CAPTCHA to Contact Form on my online stores

Why isn't this a thing yet?! If I get one more bot telling me where I can f*ck Horney b*tches or make $3000 a day from home, I'm going to scream! I get at least four a day, my email is now thinking that my contact form is spam. It's beyond frustrating!

Or better yet, I'll cancel my online store and take Shopify out for a spin! 

New

I'm in process of moving to shopify ;( ... Very reluctantly though. I really like my Godaddy stores. But the mere fact that this, easy to fix, issue is being completely ignored, is a huge red flag.

Mont

SERIOUSLY. I've had enough offers for finding sexy women in my town and/or how to make $10,000 a week.

This isn't that complicated. It's available for website builder and wordpress. Why not online store??

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @Robinski @Mont @KyuuketsukiNiko  Thanks for your feedback on this. We are actively working on solutions to prevent this problem. We are starting with some ideas that are less obtrusive for website engagement. 

New

Thanks @ChristineL Christine for replying from GoDaddy. Nice to see someone is listening.

I'm in process of migrating to Shopify because of this. Not too late to stop. I am bombarded with inappropriate email requests and my legitimate customer questions are getting lost in the mess.  

I have two stores here. 

Mont
    Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @Mont we've shipped some changes in the backend that should help with this, and we have additional work planned. I'll message you also.  thanks, Christine

Product Team
    Product Team
    Solution

Hello! Here’s a quick update to let you know that Google Recaptcha protection is now automatically included in GoCentral contact forms. To get the update, simply re-publish your site.

We opted to use "ReCaptcha invisible,” which means your site visitors won’t need to take any action to prove they’re humans — an algorithm does the work behind the scenes. You can read more about this technology here: https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/invisible.

The only viewable difference on your website will be a small line of text below the “submit” button on your contact form. This text links to the Recaptcha TOS/Privacy pages.

I am very excited to stop receiving offers to help finding sexy girls in my city, and cryptocurrency investment tips. Yay for that!

Does "simply re-publish your site" mean something more than just making any ol' change on it and saving it? Because I've done several changes, and I'm still not seeing the little link to the Recaptcha privacy pages below the Submit button on my form. 😕 

Thanks! 

I seriously LOL'd at that! It actually makes me feel a little better to know someone else is getting the exact same spam emails.

If I make a change and save, I get one email about finding hot sexy babes instead of seven. It lasts about a day and then I wake up to fifteen telling me I too can make $3000 a day and who can help me market my site.

Can we please just have a normal captcha? Please?
    New

Great news for GoCentral sites. Still not fixed on "GoDaddy Online Store" though. Which is the generation before GoCentral. We haven't upgraded to GoCentral (Same functionality). Migrating out is underway but it is a complete rebuild from scratch for two stores... A herculean task for a small startup. and we are so busy now that stores have gained traction. A credit to GoDaddy. Online Store design is fabulous. Is it possible to support my stores with this much needed change until we have completed migration? 

Mont
    Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @KyuuketsukiNiko  can you please private message me with info about your site so that we can investigate? I'm not sure what you mean by "normal captcha."  We have used an up to date version of the Google tool.

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @Robinski  you will need to hit the "Publish" button, not just save your site. If you've published and still not seeing it, try to logout and re-login and see if that helps. Are you using GoCentral or an earlier version?  The change was made to GoCentral.  Thanks, Christine

Ah. I have OnlineStore, not GoCentral. And I have a gazillion products and different product options, so no, I won't want to recreate it any time soon. Or ever, preferably. 😉 

Any hope for my site getting Captcha? 

New

Hi Ribinski,

We are in same boat but with two earlier version "onlinestore" and it is not good as I believe GD is gradually phasing out and support staff have even eluded to no more support. Not updating us with this much needed fix sort of confirms we're left in a lurch.

We would be super happy to upgrade, however there is no way to migrate without starting from scratch. A time consuming task.

I have been pressing them to help us but all I got was... They can build from scratch and charge us accordingly (estimate well over $2000 per store) 

Mont

Well THAT'S exhausting!

So, my dear GoDaddy peeps - are y'all going to force upgrades every couple years? Because if that's the case, as much as I love my site right now, and as much history as I have with GoDaddy (over 15 years) I may have to take another look at other options. I don't have time to do a complete rebuild on my current site regularly, and I certainly don't want to pay you $2000 to do it. 😕  

New

My take exactly... I feel this is beyond the issue at hand and more of a reflection of a material top level corporate shift.  Have been with GD for over 15 years as well. Yes issues arise, it is a complicated business after all. Support staff are still some of the best in the industry. But to just leave customers (who knows how many of us) left to fend for ourselves... Not cool.

Mont

Yeah. I love my GoDaddy people. ❤️  Dang it.