• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Adding Language options to your website

Is it possible to add other language options to your website without having to create new pages?

19 REPLIES 19
    Helper II

Re: Language

@SweetheartsLV

You could include a link to "Google Translate".

http://itools.com/tool/google-translate-web-page-translator

Google, also has a place to grab the code for a button on your web page.

http://translate.google.com/manager/website/?hl=en

Also,

http://free-website-translation.com/

provides the code to add a "Translator Button" to your site.

There are probably others.

Helper II

@SweetheartsLV

I tried the Google Website Translation, which was acceptable on the desktop, but on the mobile,  I couldn't manage to scroll to the right to see the total of the language presentation options. Maybe, just me and my inexperience with mobile. ??

Note: Google's version had to have the HTML code added to "each page"!

Highlighted
    Helper II
    Solution

@SweetheartsLV

I tried the translation button from http://free-website-translation.com/ , which worked great on the desktop page. One HTML box on the homepage, with their button code, allowed all pages to be translated ... even the links to eBay provided a translated page at eBay.

However, the button is "a hover over for language options" on the desktop, but that can't be done on mobile! A click on the button, takes you to the http://free-website-translation.com/  ... Homepage.

So, when creating the button, after a click of the right drop down of the HTML box, I selected "hide on mobile".

So desktop works, mobile does NOT!     Example here.

Hey @SweetheartsLV,

First let me say welcome to the community! Awesome to have you take the time to join us! Smiley Happy

Just to clarify, you are referring to creating different language versions of your site using the Website Builder page designer? I think @tmaj is on the right track for some good solutions that could help out. I haven't tried these ideas myself, but I have heard of other users having some success with similar solutions. 

If you give any of these a try, let us know how it works out for you! Perhaps other members familiar with multiple language sites who've gone through this can offer some more ideas?

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

I'm also trying to install Google Translate on my site and having the same problem with the drop-down language options not all being visible, even in the desktop view. I'm following the steps correctly to insert the code. I've inserted this same plug-in using Wordpress for a charity web site I help manage with no problem, but it is not working correctly with my GoDaddy website. Any advice from the GoDaddy team on this? According to my web stats through GoDaddy and Google analytics, I have a lot of visitors from other countries and want to make the site more user-friendly for them. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hey @jjpseattle,

Just to clarify, you are using the HTML widget tool in Website Builder (Add HTML code to page) to insert the Google Translate code?

One thing to check is to make sure the code snippet your copying is generated from 

https://translate.google.com/manager/website/add where you can add the domain name and original language that your site is in. As mentioned, this should work and I've seen some users successfully utilize this with their sites.

If you're encountering display issues, you may want to check that your widget box is not overlapping any other content on the page designer. I would also check any other custom coding you've inserted to make sure it's not interrupting the snippet. Usually, tags left open in other places are the result of this. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Helper II

A couple of other options, which I note are available on the Google Translator are:

Specific languages .. you could probably narrow that down considerably.

Display Mode .... might make a big difference.  ????

Helper V

Re: Adding Language options to your website

For the benefit of others in the future, this subject is huge compared to what most people probably realize. There are even entire books on the subject.

Translating software to another language is just the first level (that is my unofficial designation). Note that free translation services such as Google are improving but there is room for improvement.

The next level is Internationalization; that includes use of Unicode, support of bidirectional text, regional date and time formats, local calendars, use of appropriate number formats and numeral systems, sorting and presentation of lists and handling of personal names and forms of address. Also implementing the software in a manner that supports Localization might be included in Internationalization.

Localization means making software with (nearly) full support of a culture and other requirements of a specific market, including  numeric, date and time formats, currency, keyboard usage, Collation and sorting and perhaps even legal requirements.

See Localization vs. Internationalization.

The following are some relevant books (I do not know how relevant and/or useful any of these are, this is intended to show that the subject is extensive):

• .NET Internationalization: The Developer's Guide to Building Global Windows and Web Applications by Guy Smith-Ferrier
    • Internationalization and Localization Using Microsoft .NET by Nick Symmonds
    • Usability and Internationalization of Information Technology by Nuray Aykin
    • A Practical Guide to Localization by Bert Esselink
    • Localizing Apps: A practical guide for translators and translation students by Johann Roturier

New

How to have the english fields translated in the online store?

Hello there! 🙂

I am new to building a website so I've decided to simply use the online store builder provided by godaddy and so far it's been going really well... however now that I am previewing the website I can see that some fields which I have no control on are in english.. for example the contact form and also everything in the checkout section.

I want to have this all in French but I can't seem to find a place to manually modify it. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 🙂

Thanks so much,

Melissa

Re: How to have the english fields translated in the online store?

Hi @Mlimog, My expertise is domains, and I don't know if you can change the language on just the form, but you can add a Google® language option to your website:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/adding-apps-from-google-7699

I hope that helps,

Thomas D. - GoDaddy | Community Moderator

New

@T-3D, thank you so much!

However I am not sure this works for the online store 😞 I've looked at the tutorial on how to install the app but it seems to work from the website builder only. I can't find where do to it from on the online store. 😞

Hi @Mlimog, Regrettably it is not available as an online store option, and while you could mount a website builder website with a form and link to the online store, my answer was quick and @SamHobbs was much more thorough. In any case, I hope we have helped you, or at least moved you in the direction of a solution.

Thomas D. - GoDaddy | Community Moderator

Website for English and Japanese

I'm building a website using WebsiteBuilder and I've built a site with all of the pages in the English Language. I'd like to have an alternate site for Japanese just like GoDaddy and other websites that do business internationally have. Is there a way to do that with Website Builder program? Thank you.

New

How do I insert a Google Translate tab into my website?

I'm trying to insert a Google Translate tab:

into my website, but I do not know how.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

New

Re: How do I insert a Google Translate tab into my website?

Here is the problem with the Google piece, It sucks. I work as a translator for US State Dept. and I can tell you that what you type in English and hit translate on for Google, comes out as jibberish in the native language. Google doesn't worry about proper syntax or sentence structure in the translated language. Wix has a better offering than GoDaddy if you're looking for multi language website.

I came across this thread while looking for different ways to add language options to my websites. The button solution by tmaj worked on my end as well. However, the options I see people using here seem quite more complicated than the one I currently use, which is SITE123.

On the website builder itself, I can add language options and they will not only translate it but also take care of all the technical details automatically as well. Check it out: https://www.site123.com/features/multilingual-website

shipping address language

i met the problem that some consumers left the shipping address in their native language like spanish or russian rather than in english,  how can i do to require all consumers to input their shipping address in english only? 

I have an ASP.NET website with internal language resource files. These give better control over the translations than Google. One example of this technique is at https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/b8e86c/localization-of-a-site-in-mvc5-using-resource-file/. A problem that I had when publishing the website (using Web Deploy) to my GoDaddy Plesk host was that the host changed a critical section of Web.config, breaking the automatic browser language detection.

In the <system.web> section, the <globalization> element has to set culture and uiCulture to "auto." If the value is anything other than a specific language, such as en-US, the host seems to change it to a specific language. A workaround is to edit Web.config in Plesk file manger, after the site is published. Changing the culture values back to "auto" allows the website to adapt to the browser language. 

Is there a better way to do this?

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Hello all!

Our GoCentral platform has the ability to integrate the Google Translate code. This feature is built into the GoCentral's Site Settings and available on all versions of the product. It will even include a link to the Google Translator code generator for easy access and integration. If you would like to see it in action, feel free to try GoCentral on a trial basis and see if it meets your needs!

James - GoDaddy | Community Moderator