• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Can I really only have a max of 500 characters in anything I want to write?

I want to put some information on my site which is way more than 500 characters.  If I select one of the boxes like "content" any text box is limited to that size.  Is there anyway around this?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can I really only have a max of 500 characters in anything I want to write?

Hi there Scotte2121,

Your question is a very open one - meaning, it's a highly general question with not enough information for some people to even comment on.  To answer your question correctly, we need a LOT more information from you!

Obviously, websites can have WAY more content then 500 characters.  What helps to answer your question is knowing what tool or product you are using to create your site, are you using a template of some kind, and what kind of "text box" selection are you making (from where do you see this box?)  Can you insert a screen shot to your post help us answer your question?

Some templates (pre-formed) have requirements so that you don't throw off the layout of the site.  In this way they protect the integrity of their "look" by not letting you type too much,  taking their box and stretching it so much that your site looks really quirky.  Just guessing here, but hope this is something like what you're describing.

The more information you can provide, the more the community can help!

Happy Holidays!

I'm sorry, I thought this was specific to the Godaddy website builder.  When using their templates, I have many different boxes I can use such as...contact, photos, header, and general content boxes.  Using the content boxes limits me to 500 characters, which if you have some things to say, isn't nearly enough.  I tried just putting another content box below so I could continue, but there is a huge gap between the paragraphs. 

I just ran into this limitation last night. Up until last night I have had as many as 3000 characters in a section. My entire site has many sections over 500 characters in them. When I opened Web Builder last night and selected a section of text to edit Web Builder instantly truncated my sections to 500 characters. I have just lost almost every section I have developed due to Web Builder truncating the character size to 500. Since Web Builder saves automatically I have now lost all my text that I have spent hours developing.

I need to know what happened and why? And I need the limitation removed immediately. I am totally beside myself. I am ready to go live with advertising and I am totally dead in the water.

I have been unable to reach anyone at GoDaddy that knows anything about this or can help me. I am very upset right now.

On top of this problem if I add another section to continue with another 500 characters there is a large gap between sections so this is not a work around.

Who can assist with this problem?

Thank you,

Dave

I have been speaking with GoDaddy tech support all morning today. There are many users calling in on this issue. I have been told that there is a developer team that is triaging this issue now. Supposedely there will be a fix to the character size limit as soon as they can make a decision on what they are going to do about this issue. I am dead in the water and cannot imagine GoDaddy will not fix this immediately. There will be major negative affects to their Web Builder business if this is not fixed in the next 24 hours.

Hey @davefriant,

First let me say welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

The known issue you're describing is actually a bug reported to our developers for the recent GoCentral Website Builder. They are aware and actively working to address this along with additional feedback/suggestion items since launch.

I don't have details for when that issue will be fixed, but I know they are rolling out new updates as quickly as possible. If I receive any more news, I'll try to follow up. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Thank you for your reply. As of this morning the developers have fixed the problem. I would like to see a bulletin that describes the problem and explains what, if any, limitations GoDaddy has placed on text entry fields/sections.

Thank you,

Dave

I have just read these and am now facing the same problem. Why do I all of a sudden have a character limit? I use this site for a blog. I cannot put a blog in less than 500 characters! Please advise as I have advertisers to satisfy.