• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Categories vs viewing all products

Help, I have been looking but can't find an answer to this. I have categories and subcategories (got it, no problem) but when I click on the category header, I see all products in the category. What I want to see is all of the subcategories, so then the user can click on the subcategory and find the item. By having all products listed, it is confusing and distracting. Is there a simple and clean way to do this? I am happy to go in and edit the HTML but I can't figure out how to do this either. This is a pretty standard for web design. Am I missing something?

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Categories vs viewing all products

Hi @FrenchToo, thanks for posting.

The top category is still a category, so it will not be possible to do what you described.

GoCentral or Online Store does not offer the ability to directly edit the HTML of the site.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 Support | Check System Status

I am setting up my GoCentral site right now and am having the same issue.  Has there been a work around found yet?  

Most of what we sell is made to order but we do occasionally have pre-made stock that is ready to ship.  I want my customers to be able to quickly see those items in the separate category.  Having everything all lumped together (with duplicates if you have the same items in the ready to ship category) is just too messy.

Please help,

Candice

Highlighted
    Helper V
    Solution

@FrenchTooThe way GoCentral Store works is that the top level category functions as a "view all". All products in the store will display. At the same time, however, if you have set up subcategories in the dashboard (which we are only allowed a total of 3 levels -- or two additional nested categories) the names of those subcategories will be listed. You must select one, and then once you do, only the products in that subcategory will display. In my template, the category and subcategory names are shown in a list on the left.( If you are using the Luxe template, however, there are issues with it right now. The subcategory names are there but in certain color schemes are barely readable.) Are you making sure you have selected the category name you want to see?

Helper V

Just to follow up about the Luxe template. I have identified that the Luxe template does not display the subcategories if you have selected the Brown for your color scheme. (I didn't test other colors, it may be an issue with other colors as well.) This seems to be happening in the Preview mode, but not in the Edit mode. If you are using this template and not able to see your subcategories, this is why. There is a problem with the font colors. I notified GD about it some time ago and it has not been fixed. Therefore, you will not be able to test or view your subcategories while previewing the Shop tab.

Helper V

The problem with the Luxe template is fixed now it seems. Hurray!

To the original poster's question, I think I see what she was referring to now. The issue with the mobile version and how it displays the categories and subcategories. Basically, it DOESN'T! This was discussed in another topic:

https://www.godaddy.com/community/GoCentral/Navigating-through-products-in-sub-categories-is-dumping...

Thank you for following up. My categories have been displaying from the beginning. My complaint is that I wish there was a way to have “All Products” viewable as a separate tab instead of the first thing buyers see. It makes it very confusing to the buyers to see everything all lumped together....what’s the point of separating items into categories when they’re still all going to be lumped together?? Please just give us the option of having “All Products” either be hidden or put in a separate tab.
    Helper V

@CandicePI couldn't agree more. Shoppers today want to go straight to what they are looking for. The subcategories should all display once you click Shop. The idea of hitting Categories three different times until you get to the third level will cause us to lose customers. I wonder if most people would even figure it out!!

Helper V

Re: Categories vs viewing all products - Search Feature Malfunction

@CandiceP   Add to that the fact that the Search feature does not function (see topic below), it'll be a wonder if our customers find anything.

https://www.godaddy.com/community/GoCentral/A-Strong-Case-to-AVOID-Go-Daddy-for-sellling-your-items/...

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.  While your intentions to let your consumers go through each category, before they hit the 'All products' is quite right, it's might not be as effective for following reasons,

1.  Your consumers may or may not understand the way you have categorized products.  So, they may give up if they browse through categories that they assume 'the product' might be in and don't find it.

2.  Showing 'All products' do give your customers the view of complete selection. Often time customers may buy a product that is better than the one they had in mind, when they began their browsing.

3.  Customer can sort products by their preference and narrow down their search area

4.  We do have 'Featured Category' widget/module that you could include either on the online store homepage or any other page, and highlight many of your categories.

It was highlighted that search on online store is not robust.  We are working on near term quick fix as well as replacing the entire search technology with new more robust, flexible technology that should enable your customer to search for the product of interest, instead of relying on category browsing.

We'll explore the option to let you hide 'All products'. Please stay tuned for that updates,

Thanks,

Mohan Kumaresh,

Product Manager, Online Stores

Helper V

@ProdMgr_OLS  Your points are well taken. However, nothing in the sort feature will lead my customers to a product they are looking for. And the search feature is just not not robust, it doesn't WORK at all. I have explained this thoroughly in another topic, as you know.

95% of the time a customer wants to sort through the categories or type in a key search word. The first option takes six clicks to get to a product on a mobile device, and the search function flat out gives a ZERO result. It should NOT take that many clicks to get where you are going. The mobile version should look more like the computer version with the categories readily visible. I've looked at other mobile websites and they ALL look as they should. I have not found one that functions like GoCentral's mobile site.

Any updates on the"Hiding the All Products Category"? I will have several hundred products in a dozen categories. It would make more sense to put the All Products at the end of the category List from the retailers viewpoint. If you are going to hide it why not just get rid of it? The customer today is on line for convenience, that means minimizing his search time and aggravation. Perhaps a different template that does not utilize this method, you might recommend? TY

It is insane that this has not been fixed. 

I agree with needing a more streamlined approach to subcategories. I have at least a thousand items in my shop. If we could have the Sub Categories come up instead of every listing in that Category it would make shopping so much easier. Ive tried every way to make this work. Im either making it tougher for my customers by limiting photos and adding unnecessary variations to accommodate or the jungle of navigating all the listings at once. 

If anyone still cares I figured out a way around this issue. I still have tweaking to do. Eventually I will have clickable thumbnails but this will do. I have my shop page already. I created additional pages. One that is listed in my header. On that page I added Content. Used the second option because it gives me the best layout. I changed the titles of each "content" deleted the photo, and added an action button that takes it to the link in my shop. For some I had to create an additional page to separate those down into a lower category and linked the page to that Shop Now action button. Make sure you hide all the pages except the one in your header. Then after you are all done....hide your original shop. Your original shop is still the shop you add product and true categories to. But remember to keep your action buttons on the new pages active and if you add new categories be sure to add them to your hidden pages. It really really makes it easy for mobile users. Mine is still in the works as far as photos. But I have over 1000 items and can turn on more options now. If Im confusing anyone my website is www.craftvinylcottage.com and you can email me. Im not very techy so excuse my way of explaining and my exuberant excitement. This also gives me a lot more pages to put out there for search engines!! Bonus all around.