• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Custom HTML: find text & replace with hyperlink

I understand that the GoDaddy Website Builder allows me to add custom HTML.

What I would like to add is some custom HTML that identifies certain text on the page, and converts that text into a hyperlink.

For example, someone sees some text when trying to book an appointment that says "After you finish booking, please complete payment at https://blahblah.blah!"

That is currently not a clickable link.  Please trust me, it is NOT possible to select that text and add a link using the Insert Link icon. The text of an appointment description cannot be selected in Website Builder - it's just a window into the "Description" field in the Appointments/Services section of your GoDaddy account.  And an <a href> anchor tag cannot be added to the service description. (Trust me, I tried. It disappears if you try to save).

So is there custom HTML I can add to the header that will find that text and convert it into a hyperlink?  I can see a way to do something similar with PHP, but not HTML, and I don't know if GoDaddy allows me to add custom PHP.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1960461/convert-plain-text-urls-into-html-hyperlinks-in-php

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User III

That can not be done with HTML, it would require custom scripting which is not possible in the website builder.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
    Super User III

That can not be done with HTML, it would require custom scripting which is not possible in the website builder.

View solution in original post

Hi Nate.  You are saying that adding a clickable link in the Description section of Appointments/Services requires custom scripting in the website builder. But are you sure that the website builder applies to the Description section of Appointments/Services?  I cannot find that.  And adding a hyperlink can be done with HTML.  It's an <a href> tag, isn't it?  

What I would like to add is some custom HTML that identifies certain text on the page, and converts that text into a hyperlink.

Your proposed work-around would not be possible in the website builder.  Server-side scripting like PHP is not available at all.  Though you can add HTML, CSS, and JavaScript into an HTML section it would only affect that section.

Thanks Nate.  It's unfortunate that the Website Builder does not allow editing of web pages that draw data from the Appointments/Services "description" information.  And if I understand you correctly, it seems that there is no HTML, CSS, or JavaScript algorithm to capture text from a section of HTML and convert it into a hyperlink.

Maybe one day GoDaddy could add one of these Hyperlink icons to the Appointments/Services description field. 

KyleJackson_0-1596473371848.png

I don't know if that's possible, but it would be the solution to my particular problem.