• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Downgrading a Reseller plan

Hello has anyone ever tried to downgrade their Reseller Account from Pro to the basic account? I started my reseller account some time ago with the basic reseller account really just to keep all of my customers account together, then somehow GO Daddy upgraded my account to the pro without my knowledge and now they won't allow me to downgrade.  Go Daddy tells me if I don't renew the account they are gonna delete all of my customers' data.... Not cool 

8 REPLIES 8
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: Downgrading a Reseller plan

Hi @Dee99. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! 

You should be able to downgrade your Reseller plan, though you won't be able to do so if it is past its renewal date. In that case, you'd need to renew the plan first. I'm not sure what happened to your account and an upgrade but our support team should be able to help you identify that. My suggestion would be to review your Order History to see when you began being charged for a new account type. 

To clarify, if a Reseller plan is canceled, the customers from that reseller would be moved to another so they will not lose their services. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    New

Hi @Dee99 @JesseW 

Were you able to find a solution to this issue?

I am a super reseller with godaddy for almost 10 odd years, but now I do not wish to continue with it as I do not have any other sub resellers under me and most of my customers like making their domain/hosting purchase directly rather than via reseller. So I wanted to downgrade from Super Reseller to Basic Plan but I was clearly told that this is not possible, and if I do not renew all my existing customers ( I have around -10 customers) would be transferred to some other account. I said I am ready to purchase the Basic Plan first and all the technical team has to do is move my customers to this new Basic Plan account so all new renewals and commissions would be at that price but I was told no all customers would be transferred to some other account and I cannot transfer my clients to new account.

So I feel that this is not right as Resellers sometimes have good business and sometimes donot so even GoDaddy should support resellers by allowing them option to upgrade/downgrade based on their business condition and only then can a long term relation be built or personally I am really disappointed that no downgrade options are offered to resellers.

Highlighted
    Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Hi @PrHN. Thanks for posting. This can be a bit of a confusing situation. Super Resellers are reseller accounts that can have other resellers under them. When you sign up for a Super Reseller account, you receive a Pro Reseller account underneath it. It sounds like that is the account that you have your customers under. So essentially:

Account brand: GoDaddy  Your company  Your company 
    Account type: Super Reseller Pro reseller 10 customers

When you cancel a Super Reseller account, all accounts under it (Pro or Basic Resellers) move into GoDaddy accounts. To put that another way, the reseller branded account that you have your Pro Reseller plan in is converted to a GoDaddy account. However, the customers you have for that Reseller account will stay your customers. So that looks like:

Account brand: GoDaddy  GoDaddy  Your company 
    Account type: Super Reseller Pro reseller 10 customers

Since it sounds like you don't have any reseller plans under your Super Reseller account, you should be ok to just cancel it. My understanding is that the expiration date you have on the Super Reseller account will transfer to your Pro Reseller account once you cancel the super account. The pro account is probably currently listed as expired but it shouldn't be once the date from your super plan rolls over to it. Then you should be able to downgrade it to Basic. Unless of course your super plan is currently expired. UPDATE: It is not possible to downgrade a Pro Reseller to a Basic Reseller. See posts below. 

Note: The Pro Reseller plan will remain in the account it's already in when it converts to GoDaddy. It will not be moved to the GoDaddy account your Super Reseller plan is in. 

If you have any questions about this or need some reassurance, please contact our Reseller team directly at the number or email address listed in your Reseller Control Center. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    New

Thanks @JesseW for your detailed response. Appreciated.

Thats what I had expected that I am a Super Reseller and under that I have 1 Pro account (which is again my account). So I requested the technical team that I will purchase a Basic Reseller Plan after which they can move my clients from Pro account to Basic Account. 

They said thats not possible and either I renew the super reseller plan or dont. If I donot renew all accounts are transferred to some other reseller (managed by Godaddy). In a way they said all my clients will be transferred to GoDaddy and no longer under me. If I create a new Basic Reseller Account then new accounts would need to be created by clients on this new reseller plan and then move domains via account transfer. Other Products like Hosting and Email plans cannot be moved from one account to another and either they have to be renewed via old account or a new account be created here and all old emails and files will be deleted if not renewed. Hence take a backup before deleting as no way of retrieving it back.

Can you reconfirm if I can purchase a new Basic Reseller Plan and then technical team can transfer my old clients from Pro/Super Reseller to this new Basic Reseller Plan?

Thanks a lot.

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @PrHN - The only way to downgrade from a Super Reseller plan to a Basic Reseller plan is the process I described above. To explain a bit further, any time you cancel a Pro or Basic Reseller plan, any customers under that plan are moved to other resellers. This is an automated process. There isn't a way to purchase a new reseller plan and then move existing customers to it. Sorry Man Sad

New

Greetings @JesseW

Thanks. So I think based on your response, I simply need to wait for the
    Super Reseller plan to expire and hope that my clients stay in the pro
    plan. If so I can then simply renew by downgrading to a basic plan. Right?
    Thanks

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@PrHN - I wouldn't wait until the super plan expires. As I mentioned, your pro plan will reflect the expiration date of the super plan once the super plan is canceled. If you wait until the super plan expires, you'll need to renew the pro plan before you'll have the ability to downgrade it. You cannot downgrade plans that are past their renewal date. Please consider connecting with our Reseller team so they can make sure everything goes according to plan. 

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@PrHN - Just wanted to give you a quick update. It recently came to my attention that it's not actually possible to downgrade from Pro to Basic. My mistake. You can still downgrade to Pro from the Super plan though. Sorry for any confusion.