• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Dual- or Multi-language support

Is there an easy way to incorporate dual-language (or even multi-language) support in websites using WebsiteBuilder?

Thanks in advance for any help/hints!

18 REPLIES 18
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

Re: Dual- or Multi-language support

Hey @Nobu, I don't know an easy way to do multiple languages on Website Builder. I don't know if you want to do this automatically? I typically use and recommend WMPL (WordPress Multilingual Plugin) but it is not an automatic translator. What WMPL gives you the ability to do is marry content together.

Maybe you want to do two pages? yourdomain.com/about-us (English) and yourdomain.com/about-us-es (Spanish) If you make a page per language you can just put a toggle in the header or footer of your website? Hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

New

is there a step by step article on how to add another language? no need for automatic translation, ill do it manually, I care about adding languages menu in header so visitor can switch between languages?

Hi,

Were you able to do this? I'm also struggling with this problem and don't know what to do..sadly.

Thank in advance for the help.

Employee
    Employee

Hi @Nobu

GoCentral supports Google Translate for multi-language support. To use the feature, just go to the website editor, then click on "Site Settings", then select "Google Translate" and then follow the directions in that section to set it up.

Best-

Heidi, GoDaddy product manager

Hi,

Thank you for the answer, but it's not exactly what I need. As we all know, Google translate is not the most accurate. What I need is having the option to create a duplication of the site, and create a small menu in a corner from which the user can select one of the available languages, and provide for the translations myself. Is that possible or should I choose something different than GoCentral for what I need?

Thank you in advance.

Super User I

Did you read the solution I offered above @cristina1?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Hi @rd,

Yes, and it seems the most accurate one. But I was thinking of not paying for something else after I have payed for the GoCentral. If there is an option to translate everything using Google translate, I just thought it also exists one to have a normal translation. I honestly find it unprofessional to post an entire site translated with Google translate

The other option, duplicating the page and inserting a toggle seems good also, but I did not find a way to insert a toggle of some sort (maybe I was not able to find it, but other people, with greater skills than me, could find a way). Also, if I duplicate the pages, I cannot duplicate also the sections, so the menu will not be translated.

Thank you for all the help, but it seems I am quite technically challenged and I find it hard to implement something a little more complicated.

Super User I

I don't know that there is an extra cost involved unless you have to pay someone to translate @cristina1? I'm not a fan of automated translation either as most times I find it far to literal rather than conversational. One reason I recommend WMPL for WordPress is that it gives the user the ability to provide a real world translation. For you what I would do is basically duplicate my base website and convert the language. For the menus of may keep it

PRIVACY POLICY | TERMS AND CONDITIONS | CONTACT US | FAQS

then

POLITICA DE PRIVACIDAD | CONDICIONES GENERALES | CONTACTA CON NOSOTROS | PREGUNTAS FRECUENTES

...or whatever your menus are (excuse my Spanish). Then just include a separate menu item in the upper right with one item (ES) Español on the English pages and (EN) English on the Spanish pages that link to either yourwebsite.com/en (Spanish version) or yourwebsite.com (English version) respectively. Does that clarify? 

Hello, and thank you for the complex response.

The extra cost I was referring to was the one for WPML, which I could find in here: https://wpml.org/purchase/ .  Isn't this the one you were referring to?

For the second option, I think I might be the issue, since I didn't get a way to create mydomaninname/en or mydomainname/es other that creating a page called en and another one called es. I did that, create two pages hidden, and linked them to a menu with two options, en and es, but this way I cannot add any other pages, I can only add sections. My site already contains pages and sections, and sometimes menus which have pages, and I need that kind of structuring for it, that's why I cannot allocate the page level only for the translation layer. If there were any other option to have mydomaninname/en and mydomaninname/es, it would be great, but I didn't find one yet.

Thank you, again, so much for the prompt and complex responses. You are of great help.

Super User I

WMPL will not work for you as it is a WordPress specific solution. But yes, that is the website. 

You name your own pages when you create them, you can absolutely create them with languages specific names. Additionally you can just create a CONTACT US page that is yourdomain.com/contact-us and a CONTACTA CON NOSOTROS page that is yourdomain.com/contacta-con-nosotros as that probably makes more sense than contact-us-en and contact-us-es

In my view the best way to accomplish this is to complete your entire website in the base language then duplicate and translate page by page. Think of it this way, you can create a menu for English that just points to pages in English and a Spanish menu that just points to Spanish pages. When you first create the page just decide which menu you'd like. I'd probably just start with the same base page per language and go from there. The thing that links the pages is really only your menu. 

What you want be able to do is apply one menu to the entire website. Creating two pages is a bit of a nasty way to do it because it's literally double the updates but it should work just fine?

Hi,

OK, so I have my website with some pages and a drop-down menu in Spanish, let's say. I have also created another drop-down menu, with the two options - en and es - which are pages. How do I proceed so that, when the user chooses en from the menu, all the pages, including the titles, are displayed in English? I will, of course, duplicate all of my pages, but where should I put the duplicated pages, so that they appear only when the en option was selected?

What I want to do is, for example, as it works for GoDaddy. You enter on the page, you see that it is in English (or it uses a localization method to match with where you are), you can choose from a little menu in a corner that you would like the Spanish version of the site, and then the entire site is displayed in Spanish. Still, GoDaddy uses sub-domains to do this, and I would l like to use myDomain/en/pageNameGoesHere instead, but the result to be the same: choosing a language determines which "face" of the same site will be seen.

Thank you, again, for the time and help you invest in this.

Super User I

Perhaps you are trying to make it too complex @cristina1? Or maybe I'm just doing the most simple thing?

I made a quick test website and I just made four pages HOME, ABOUT, CONTACT and GALLERY from there I just copied each page and came up with INICIO, ACERCA DE, CONTACTA CON NOSOTROS and GALERIA (again excuse my Spanish). So the thing that makes this work is that not all pages have to be visible on all navigation menus. For my English pages I am showing the black menu with just the English pages. For my Spanish pages I am just showing the orange menu with just the Spanish pages. I also included on every English page a link to INICIO and just called it (ES) Español and versa vice.rd-en.jpg

rd-es.jpgWhat you were explaining about the drop downs, localization, toggles and all of that seems complex? In my example all of these pages are yourdomain.com/page-name if it is English or Spanish. One link is yourdomain.com/gallery and the other is yourdomain.com/galeria The way I figure is that the use can choose their preference and all of your website is on one level. The thing that I most dislike about this kind of a setup is constantly updating multiple sources. Since there are two galleries both have to be updated but it can also work as an advantage as the galleries are independant and can show different pictures. Perhaps pictures that are better suited for your clientele? Happy to help.

Hi again,

And sorry for the late response. It seems I'm not able to add multiple navigation menus. Basically, when I can create a new page, the only options that I have are: New page, Link to external website and drop-down menu. Any drop-down menu can have multiple pages, but bot other drop-down menus, and any page can have sections, but not other pages. 

For now, I have doubled all my pages, and I've hidden all of them. I have only Home - which I seem to not be able to delete, since it's not a page per se but used it for headers and stuff like that, English and Espanol, which are links to two hidden pages I created, mydomain/home and mydomain/inicio. My problem is that I cannot link my other hidden pages to anything. I cannot add links to /home and /inicio pages, and I cannot duplicate the navigation menu, I have no idea why. Maybe I didn't find the option to do this. I've tried using this https://www.godaddy.com/help/organize-pages-with-navigation-menus-8353 , but I got stuck from step 3 because I can't find the website's menu/navigation pane.

It seems so easy as you did it, and i gets on my nerves that I'm not able to replicate the exact same thing. Thank you, again, for the patience and the trouble of actually creating a site to help me.

Super User I

What I'm doing is creating individual navigation bars for my pages (per language in this case). That is why I noted that you should create an entire website version first. I'm choosing the "Show only on this page" in my menu options. When I create a new page I'm copying that page from another page that is already on my website so the menu comes with it. If I were to add another text page I'd just copy my About Us page and name it new. Does that make it clearer? 

Untitled-2.jpg

Well, I think we have different versions, or something like that. Because yours looks exactly like the one from the help pages, and mine looks like this:

siteBuilder.png

As you can see, I don't have the option to Show only on this page. Or to create other Navigation bars, like I have seen in the help pages. Is there an upgrade I should make, or something similar maybe?

Super User I

I see @cristina1, you are using GoCentral. Seems that you are looking at the support documents for Website Builder 7? I somehow missed that when you were talking about Sections. GoCentral is kind of build to be a single page with sections. If you want a single page with many sections then just duplicate your home page, copy it and translate the sections? That way there is no real menu only language options.GoCentral-en-es.jpg
    You can create whole separate menus but you are correct I do not believe there is an option to display different menus on different pages? Here is the GoCentral specific help GoCentral Help. I am trying to think of something different but that may be the only choice or you can with the @hgibson option which should work for simple text.

Hi,

Yeah, felt like we were talking about different stuff, since it sounded so easy at your end, and so impossible at mine. I have a few pages already, and it doesn't make any sense to create just one page and transform them into sections. I'll probably try to customize it via HTML, which will take a huge amount of time to configure. After this year will pass, I'll probably renounce the GoCentral subscription and go with something else, since I think I cannot go with Site Builder now, to make my life easier.

Thank you for all the help, it was really nice of your part to take a lot of time to give me some (what appeared to be) very easy and straight forward answers.

Solution

I am in need of english / spanish only... at this point .. I am thinking I will just translate and have both on the same site .. Spanish then English one after the other .. since I dont need 10 different languages this seems to fit the KISS principle, hope this thought helps. We can over complicate things sometimes

Andrew