• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Editing Site - Full Width Image

I can't seem to add a full width image to my site- an image that stretches edge to edge. There are homepage header images with this ability but I can't duplicate this treatment anywhere else. There is a promo/header content block with a background image you can change but it's not possible to adjust the height on it at all (it doesn't seem to go much taller than 200-300px) and to get it to the max height you have to fill it up with as much text content that the builder allows.

I also tried to inject my own html/css but it put my content into a weird iFrame box. 

All in all, the design constraints for this Website Builder are overwhelming. I've created site designs in Squarespace before which has more than 10x the design features. The price of godaddy website builder does not equal the value, in my opinion. 

Please let me know if anyone out there knows a work around or rather, if GoCentral will ever add this as a section option.

5 REPLIES 5
    Highlighted
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: Editing Site - Full Width Image

Hello there @hook_outfitters,

A lot of people who select GoCentral as a web site solution don't seem to realize it's built for people with little to no knowledge of how to put a website together. The limitations are made so that a novice can get a site online within an hour or so.

If you face these sort of limitations and find them frustrating, that means you're not a novice anymore and it's time to look for another solution so you can design the site you want. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, and others fit this need. 

The GoCentral website builder is not meant to be an end-all, be-all solution. It's meant to get you started with an attractive site that doesn't look like a 5 year old built it. Basically, it sounds like you're using the wrong product.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Super User III Super User III
    Super User III

GoCentral is designed to be super simple so that even an absolute beginner can add their content to a pre-designed template with very little time and effort.  It's really not intended for those who want to create or adapt their own designs.  Previous versions did have advanced features but these tended to get the most complaints as the target market didn't understand how to use them.  So it seems they were held out of the current generation in order to streamline the platform.

Solution

Here's what I figured out.  The GoDaddy images expect a certain aspect ratio.  For example, if your picture is wide but not very tall, it won't let you fit it into a box.  You need to trick it.  What I do is paste my image into a program like powerpoint.  Then I make a solid box which is taller and the right proportions to the GoDaddy image.  Use whatever color for the box that is compatible with your design, be it white or another color.  I layer the photo on top of this box, then group them together and save as one image like a GIF, etc.  Whatever your program will allow you to save. Now when you import to GoDaddy it will see the entire box as your image, and you can fit it all in.

Dear Mr. Vapor,

I think correctly placing an image that is not cropped and will not fit into some hidden limit you set is about as fundamental as you can get,  Should NOT be a reason to move to a more advanced tool.  I am a novice CEO trying to stand up a basic site for my investors.  Today spent 2 hours trying to get my graphics in place and not be cropped by some bug in your system.  Bad Day for me and your lame excuse did not sit well.

Super User III Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

I guess it should be noted that we are not employees, rather volunteers who offer tips and advice.  We're telling you how it is.  If GoCentral does not work for your needs it'd be best to find a different solution which does.  Like I said it is streamlined for those who don't want to fuss with the details, just add their own content to a predesigned website.  Some people love it and some people hate it.