cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted
    New

FTP access for a website builder account

I have a business website builder account and I don't know how to setup FTP for it. I was reading some help articles and it looked like it was for setting up for the hosting accounts. I guess it is different from the website builder account option?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: FTP access for a website builder account

I also have the same problem.

Solution

Hey @mcspam@malfactor,

FTP access is available for our regular web hosting plans. Within Website Builder, file uploads for images and other documents are handled within the page designer interface. There's no external FTP access allowed. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    New

@CG

The problem I am having though within the website builder is the file I upload within the website builder changes the file name to a bunch of letters and numbers and when you click on it at least through a mobile site the phones don't know how to handle the file even though the original file is a pdf.

Employee
    Employee

Hi @mcspam!

Thank you for your reply. That doesn't sound right. The builder will change file names but the file type should remain. I'd recommend reaching out to our support team to troubleshoot this further.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

That's great... you also allow manual HTML editing. Also wonderful except there's no way I can see to do things like add pictures. I think this is the main reason some ask for FTP. Is there any way I can have a picture and reference that when doing an HTML edit?

Same concern about FTPing specific files to the directory -- I need to submit a SiteBuilder site to Google for it to be indexed. The first step Google requires is to upload a specific .HTML file to the site's directory to prove site ownership.  Only after being confirmed by Google can I have the site indexed. 

I tried to fake out a page within SiteBuilder by creating a new page with exact Google filename, but the content throws off the validation. And it would appear that I have NO WAY to to to the head of the SiteBuilder pages.

It would be best if I could just FTP directly to the directory. What do you propose?

Thanks.

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @kindraf. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! In that situation, you should be able to verify your domain ownership in another way, like via DNS. You won't have the needed access to upload an HTML file for Google. Sorry Man Sad

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.