• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Helper V

Failure to provide tracking number caused automatic refund!!

There is a huge problem with the design of the tracking system on the online store. After a relative of mind paid by check, I marked the item paid since it isn't automatically done by the system. But it then looked like it still needed to be shipped, which I had already done. I clicked on USPS and didn't fill in a tracking # because I had already texted it to them. So I hit USPS and submit. It popped up immediately that the item had been refunded. Don't know how that is possible since they paid offline with a check....Now I'm waiting to see if my account is debited for the sale!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You won't see the "Mark as Refunded" button after the order has been moved to a refunded state. You should be able to see it on other orders that have been shipped, but not marked as refunded.

We have automated testing of our applications and no other reports of this issue. We are confident that there is no underlying problem that causes this to automatically transition to a refunded state. The impending change should help prevent any accidental modification; a safeguard that should have been there to begin with.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
    Helper V

Follow up: Spent a long time on the phone with cust. support. They contacted the techies and all claim it's not a GD problem. Well, I know know what buttons I hit (only 2) and I know what occurred. They continue to deny there is a problem. If anyone else experiences this, please report it so it can get fixed! You can reference this post also.

Follow up #2: Checked with customer and they received their shipping confirmation email as they were supposed to. They did not receive an email about their order being cancelled or refunded. As of today, money has not been deducted via PayPal, which it shouldn't have been since she paid offline with a check. It is my suspicion that the coding just says the wrong word (Refunded) instead of (Shipped). They probably copied code from Shipped to make the Refunded coding and forgot to change it...Can someone check this????

@ChristineL 

Hi @Hopeful. Sorry to hear that you didn't have luck with our support staff! I took a look at your account and here's what it looks like happened:

First off, I want to assure you there will be no debit or other funding actions as a result of this order being marked as "Refunded". The Refund status in your Online Store is purely a mechanism to track the order state and does not automatically process any refunds on your behalf. The order in question having used an "offline" payment method, the system would not be able to process anything automatically, anyway.

Looking at the logs from your store, I can see that the shipment was marked at 1:46pm and a separate refund status change was made at 1:47pm (roughly 13 seconds later). This is reflected in the order history on your Online Store for this order, as well.

In trying to simulate your description of the order changes, I noticed that the "Mark as Refunded" button does not display a confirmation, as it should. My best guess here is that you inadvertently clicked the "Mark as Refunded" button and, since there was no confirmation for that action, didn't notice the change. 

We are working to fix this ASAP, so that any order state change comes with an explicit confirmation, including the Refund transition. We appreciate you calling this out and apologize for the confusion caused by the issue.

@mtuckerThank you for your reply. You are correct in that one minute after I marked the item paid for and shipped that it added "Refunded" to the order history. I would pretty much bet my life on the fact that I did NOT hit anything related to Refunded. I don't even see that option and don't know how to do a refund. I hit 2 buttons, the USPS and Submit. That's it. It popped up as Refunded and freaked me out!! I normally fill in a tracking number and this time I didn't. This was the only difference. I can only assume it happened because the tracking number was left blank.

Hopefully this change you will be implementing will correct the problem. Certainly an explicit confirmation will help everyone. My concern is that the underlying functioning still has an issue...

You won't see the "Mark as Refunded" button after the order has been moved to a refunded state. You should be able to see it on other orders that have been shipped, but not marked as refunded.

We have automated testing of our applications and no other reports of this issue. We are confident that there is no underlying problem that causes this to automatically transition to a refunded state. The impending change should help prevent any accidental modification; a safeguard that should have been there to begin with.

View solution in original post