• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Getting Started

GDPR - What happens if User does not accept Cookie Consent?

Hi all

I am aware of the option to enable Cookie Consent for Website to comply with GDPR. However per the GDPR guidelines websites can't collect data till a user specifically consents to that.

My question: What happens on GoDaddy GoCentral / Website Builder if the user DOES NOT CLICK "ACCEPT"? Will godaddy and any other facebook, google trackers still capture the cookie or they won't?

Tried to post this to some related threads but the reply option was disabled. Seems this is a super critical query and given there is no Reject option provided by GoDaddy Builder, I just want to get a confirmation on what happens if users doesn't consent as we need to put our Privacy Policy accordingly.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi all, just thought to update this thread - seems godaddy have released a fix today (or very recently). Website builder now has a DECLINE button in Cookie Banners along with the ACCEPT button that was previously visible. 

If you start to edit any existing site you will see a big pop-up stating "Website Data Tracking Update" and asking you to update your Cookie Banner settings. There you can now enable the Decline button and doing so will stop placing the cookies on users browser.

I checked this out and it seems to be working fine. Cookies seem to be getting dropped only if users explicitly Accepts. Not Accepting or Declining does not set cookeis anymore. Will be great if others could verify this too.Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 6.51.11 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-06-24 at 6.52.03 PM.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
    Getting Started

Hi all, 

So I ran a check on this with two scenarios:
    1. In Site Settings >> Cookie Banner - disable Website Performance Tracking and in Google Analytics, Facebook etc. remove any tracking ID / Tag IDs

2. Enable the Website Performance Tracking and also add a Tracking ID in Google Analytics

In scenario 1, no cookies were stored / fired to 3rd parties - so the website was compliant to GDPR irrespective of whether you place a Cookie Consent pop-up or not since it was only firing one cookie which was site ID.

But in scenario 2 even WITHOUT User clicking "Accept & Close" on the Cookie Consent pop-up ALL cookies for the external parties were fired.

I really hope someone from GoDaddy is looking at this post and can reply as to how can we make compliant GDPR site if this is happening?? We have atleast 5 sites active with GoDaddy and this is a serious issue to be resolved. Ideally NO cookies should be set unless the User has explicitly accepted the Consent.

Hi all, just thought to update this thread - seems godaddy have released a fix today (or very recently). Website builder now has a DECLINE button in Cookie Banners along with the ACCEPT button that was previously visible. 

If you start to edit any existing site you will see a big pop-up stating "Website Data Tracking Update" and asking you to update your Cookie Banner settings. There you can now enable the Decline button and doing so will stop placing the cookies on users browser.

I checked this out and it seems to be working fine. Cookies seem to be getting dropped only if users explicitly Accepts. Not Accepting or Declining does not set cookeis anymore. Will be great if others could verify this too.Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 6.51.11 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-06-24 at 6.52.03 PM.png

View solution in original post

Yes, tracking requires the website visitor to opt-in, by clicking on the Accept button. The website owner chooses whether to show the cookie banner on the site. 

Ok thanks

I didn't do it. I thought I was for information only.