• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Giving access to office staff to perform routine site maintenance?

I don't see a way for the office staff to perform routine site maintenance (i.e. uploading a monthly newsletter for download) without giving them full access to the development site. I've read that I cannot FTP to the files area using gocentral.  I could easily have missed some instruction on this topic since I'm still working on my initial free site development period. 

7 REPLIES 7
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: GoCentral Shortcoming?

Hello @oldbob,

GoCentral is meant to be an easy-to-use website builder for a novice to get started with. There's no way to have multiple administrators unless they have access to the hosting account itself. You cannot FTP into the site as it is a proprietary software fully owned by GoDaddy, which means only GoDaddy employees have access to the backend. 

If you need the kind of access and adaptability that you state, then I would suggest a WordPress website build or possibly another CMS that's open source.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

New

Re: GoCentral Shortcoming?

I'm certainly not asking for multiple administrators.  This is a feature that many small business websites should have.  I understand that I cannot FTP to the site. 

I'm saying that it is a shortcoming that I cannot find a way for someone who does not have access to edit the site can upload a pdf to replace an existing pdf for download.  I would like to put the upload capability in a members only private page.  The capability should not be difficult to implement.

I can live with this shortcoming, I'm just pointing out what I feel is a missing feature.  Nearly every small NPO has a monthly newsletter for example, and small NPOs  and small businesses are the very organizations that will use GoCentral. 

Highlighted
    Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Re: Giving access to office staff to perform routine site maintenance?

Hi, Thanks for the feedback. At this point we have no plans to add this but In the future we might consider the ability to add guest contributors. We will continue to monitor requests for this.

As a workaround you could consider publishing a link to an external shared document like Google doc, and then your employees could update the content in the shared doc any time while the linked URL doesn't change. Or you could use the HTML section to embed a doc that is hosted externally. I know this is not exactly what you are asking for but I am trying to think of some easy ways you can have other people update your content without having a login to GoCentral.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.

Rachel

New

Rachel

You helped me once before with an excellant suggestion. I'm currently
    struggling with a custom code page to provide a map for my users. The map
    isn't trivial and I am not getting anywhere. My first support call was
    useless. The map I'm trying to build in gocentral html is runing on my old
    system www.alanonla.org .. use the button "find a meeting".

I cannot see how it is possible to build a mapping page like this without
    disk access for the supporting files. I've tried changing the file
    references to make use of public files on google drive, but that doesn't
    help. How can one make use of css, jscript, icons, ets without disk
    access?

Thanks for your help

Bob B
    Employee
    Employee

Hi  Bob, 

I looked at your mapping page and this is not something you can build in GoCentral since it's a dynamic map that changes based on the entered address. For something like this the best solution would be to have a button that links externally to this map page. Would you mind sharing your GoCentral site url so I can see what you are trying to achieve?

Rachel

New

No, I don't mind at all. The url for our development site is

https://al-anonofgreaterlosangeles.godaddysites.com/

I really needed for gocentral to work for me. Everything else works
    great. Although I am mildly disappointed that the store does not have a
    handling fee for shipping. I am not a web programmer although I have 50
    years in the software business. I thought that, since you had a way to
    handle html,css,jscript, etc that I'd be OK. I didn't need to design the
    code for the problem web page, since I already had it. All I needed to do
    was renew the google api licenses and load that code into your system.
    Right now I'm grabbing that page from our retiring web site, but once that
    is done this site will have that web address. So, I am totally dead and
    need to start over and I've already paid for a year on this site.

Bummer.

Thanks,

Bob
    Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Hi Bob @oldbob, your site looks really great. I understand you will no longer be able to point to the map page since you are retiring the old site. Have you considered building a site using one of GoDaddy's WordPress websites? You would have more control over the code to do what you are trying to do. I realize that's extra work to re-build, but it might be a better fit for you in the long run since you are more technical than our average customer. Here is some info https://www.godaddy.com/websites/wordpress

Or you might be able to find a separate hosting solution for the map page so you can continue to link to it.

Rachel